can u make the s3 4wd system permanent?

ianhg

Reaction score
Hey
My dad has an audi quattro V8 which is great and it is a proper audi quattro system. shame my s3 isnt the same!
How can u make the s3 haldex system permanent 50/50 split? is it possible?
im still not entirely sure how the system works in the S3? can someone explain
cheers

Although the S3 is permanent 4x4, it's not a 50/50 split. You can however get a controller to alter the power distribution to make it 50/50 (or something else), but I can't remember who does it. Do a seach on here and you should find it as there's a recent thread on it.

S3 is haldex.

Haldex is 100/0 until front wheels are slipping. The Haldex then transfer up to 50(?) percent of the momentum to the rear axel.

The Haldex upgrade mentioned above changes when and how fast the transfer happens.

MTM fabricatess a system for permanent 50/50 on the Haldex. I haven't tried it my self, but I would have bought the upgrade from Halex if any.

A A4 Quattro har permanent 4WD, no Haldex.

ace competition also sell the haldex made /modified controller for the s3 - it it still predominantly fwd on motorways, but moves to 50:50 split much earlier when you put your foot down, before the front wheels show slip rather than once they start slipping.

this isnt a fixed split system, just more rwd biassed (max 50:50 unless the front wheels are spinning)

I read on tyre smoke that under extreme circumstances, the example given was that fronts on ice and rears on very grippy surface, 100% will transfer to the back. This was written by the bloke from Haldex.

He also mentioned all the available sensors that haldex can use, but that on the S3 only some are used.

i've posted a link to it before..i'll try and find it again.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ok so perminent 4wd what percentage is to the front and what to the rear?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe its 60:40!

RIch

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope... 50/50 on quattro... and I believe it can adjust upto 75:25 either to the front or rear.

Its fantastic... little front heavy though