1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can this be fixed?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Defratos, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Defratos

Defratos You’re Dethpicable!!

Hey guys, was on the motorway the other day and a damn rock hit my windscreen and made this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif, does anyone know if it can be fixed? I'm thinkin autoglass??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. imported_gek

imported_gek Guest

No chance. New windscreen I'm afraid.
  3. Defratos

Noooooooo, don't say that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif how much would it be?
  4. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

I would go for new windscreen, should be £50 or £60 excess through your insurance, with no effect on no-claims, just make sure they give you the correctly coloured tint on top of the screen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  5. Defratos

Oh, sweet sounds about ok to pay for, cheers Jojo, has this happened to u before?
  6. Kevint

Kevint Active Member

It's happened to me before, £40 excess and a new screen, as mentioned, make sure they get the tint at the top of the screen right.

Kev.
  7. jojo

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh, sweet sounds about ok to pay for, cheers Jojo, has this happened to u before?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, happened when my missus 'borrowed' the S3, and something fell off a tree and cracked it just like the one in your pic. I had an A3 one fitted (green tint) as S3 ones (black tint) was 2 weeks wait, doesn't really matter what colour it is I suppose.
  8. imported_gek

imported_gek Guest

[ QUOTE ]
    Noooooooo, don't say that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif how much would it be?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, didn't mean to scare you!
    Thought you'd realise it was just an small excess on your insurance!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
  9. Markb

Markb Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, happened when my missus 'borrowed' the S3, and something fell off a tree and cracked it just like the one in your pic. I had an A3 one fitted (green tint) as S3 ones (black tint) was 2 weeks wait, doesn't really matter what colour it is I suppose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the green tint for the whole screen or are you referring to a sun strip? I've never noticed to be honest.

As I am thinking about accidentally on purpose breaking the screen to get a new one. Just want to know the differences between the A3 and S3 items.

Tinted sun strip, tint colour etc..
  10. jojo

Sunstrip Mark /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  11. Markb

Markb Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Sunstrip Mark /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool I might have a look at the differences at Audi Driver of the S3's. Then decide whether mine needs a new screen with black tint /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
  12. chrisb

chrisb Member

I've had 3 windscreens in my A3 now, all due to stone damage.

Watch out that the dodgy fitter doesn't break the scuttle trim (under the wipers), like they did on mine. Moral of the story is check the car *very* carefully before they leave. The Audi manual says to remove the trim to replace the screen, but mobile fitters don't bother.
  13. JohnS3

JohnS3 Active Member

Ouch! New screen matey. Go through your insurance (pay the excess) and make sure the fitter does a good job. Wouldn't want to see your wipers placed on your roof!!
  14. antsS3

antsS3 New Member

Hi there, I had 2 new screens on my S3. I insisted on Audi OEM pars and had to hassle my insurers a little bit to acually order the Audi ones in for me. I gave them the excuse that Audi would not honour the warranty unless OEM parts were used and had a mate in parts to verify the fact if they ever needed to check. My screen has a grey tint on top.

Paid £50 excees with no influence on NCB which was cool.

As the other guys have said, watch whoever fits your new window VERY carefully. Those side trims and scuttle panels are easy to warp and damage completely so watch the hairy monster that Autoglass/RAC send down to you like a hawk!

If you're local, the RAC Autowindscreens place in Milton Keynes is reasonably good at fitting the screens as he's worked with Audi themselves, he ain't quick nor will he do it at your own place but he does a fantastic job and puts all the pieces back correctly!

Ant
  15. jojo

I got mine replaced at the depo which is about a mile away from me, they had the car for 4 hours, for this special bonding glue they use to set properly.