1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can Someone Have A Look At My Logs?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by A3 T, Aug 19, 2011.

1. A3 T

A3 T Lord Of The Rings

[Aug 19, 2011]
    No i haven't got a weird fetish.....lol

I did a couple of vagcom logs today but I'm not too sure what I'm looking for.. :uhm:

Cars kept getting in my way so i only managed to get full boost a couple of times.

Here a log of 115, 002, 020:

https://viewer.zoho.com/docs/tGEbn

And here's a log of 120, 003, 118:

https://viewer.zoho.com/docs/uHvRe

What do you guys think?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 20, 2014]

3. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

[Aug 19, 2011]
    First I think you need to tell us what you think the problem is and post any fault codes yo have if any... then you need to find a quiet bit of private road and do some proper logs in third gear to redline as these don't really say much other than your intake temps are very high and is prob what is causing your timing pull...

Should be mentioned that road logging can be dangerous and doing it on a busy road is not the best/safest idea in the world :)

<tuffty/>
  4. A3 T

A3 T Lord Of The Rings

[Aug 19, 2011]
    Thanks mate ;)

I'm not getting any fault codes what so ever. I just want to make sure everything is running as it should.

I did the logging on an A road and did get into 3rd and also managed to get full boost (about 16psi on my boost gauge) a couple of times.

What sort of temps should i be seeing and what's wrong with my timing pull...lol ?
  5. <tuffty/>

[Aug 20, 2011]
    ECU will pull timing if it detects engine knock which can be the result of high inlet temps (such as yours), and poor fuel to name a couple... you were getting a couple of 4's and a couple of near 7's...the 4's are not massive but will lead to loosing a bit of power... the 7's are more likely a spurious thing due to heat and whatever the engine was doing at the time... If you were seeing that under boost consistently I would be concerned...

At 16psi I assume your A3 is mapped... higher inlet temps are not unexpected without a better intercooler as the single side mount is getting heat soaked...

If you are getting no fault codes and the car feels ok then what little info there is in the logs (while no definitive by any stretch) appear to indicate that all is good but better logs would be useful and don't do them after a ragging or driving through town etc as the engine will be most likely too hot...

A decent FMIC will help the inlet temp issue and should help keep the timing pull to a minimum... what fuel are you using?

One other block to try as yours is a wideband ECU is block 031 (fuelling request vs actual) as this will indicate how well the maps fuelling has been done... and check block 032 after the runs to see what the fuel trims are set at..

<tuffty/>
  6. A3 T

A3 T Lord Of The Rings

[Aug 20, 2011]
    Now that's what you call a reply :thumbsup:

Before doing the logs the car was sat idle for ages so maybe that's the reason for the high temps.

I've always used V power fuel but the shell near me has just closed down so I've been forced to use tesco momentum :(

While I'm not getting any error codes, the car does feel a bit flat.

Is it just the engine temps you would be worried about or is it the temp of the air going into the engine (I'm thinking relocating the air filter could sort it) ?

Also does my requested boost and actual boost look ok and what would they convert into BHP?

I'm going to have a go at doing a couple more logs in the few days but its hard to safely get my speeds up as I'm doing them on a A road, By the time i max out 3rd i need to slow back down again :(
  7. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

[Aug 20, 2011]
    Momentum is good fuel, 99 ron none the less.

Feeling flat will be because of the onlet temps and the timing pull.

Relocating filter makes no difference to temps, either way its getting heated up by a turbo, somethin people dont seem to get.
    It's your intercooler not working efficiently, probably combined with idling for ages and your remap making more heat, fmic is obv solution, or cheaper one would be to clean your side mount, inside and out, its worth a shot.
  8. A3 T

A3 T Lord Of The Rings

[Aug 20, 2011]
    Thanks mate ;)

Am i right in thinking the smic is located in the front drivers side corner of the engine bay and that i would need to remove the front bumper to get to it ?
  9. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

[Aug 20, 2011]
    yea, it's drivers side lower corner matey :) Sorry I've not replied to your PM!

Heat will kill it totally though, so if it's heatsoaked, the logs won't be a good representation.

To get some worthwhile logs, you really need to do a full throttle run to the redline, and log it.

Sadly, this will mean touching 100mph, so you need to find somewhere that is safe and legal to do so.

You can do a 2nd gear run to 70ish, although it won't be so good as the frequency of datanresults will be lower.

Give it a full throttle run, and lets see what kind of G/S figures you're getting top end.

Divide G/S by 0.8 to get an estimate for BHP
  10. A3 T

A3 T Lord Of The Rings

[Aug 21, 2011]
    Thanks mate ;)

I'm going to try my best to get some full throttle logs ;)

Do i need to be at full throttle to get good logs for all the blocks or is it just some of them that need it?

I take it you mean the g/s under the “air mass in” ? if so the highest mine went up to was 117.06 :(

Has anyone on here heard of the “TT arch mod” ? and do you think it would help ?

EDIT:

Something like this:

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  11. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

[Aug 21, 2011]
    yea people have been fitting the TT arch vents for yonks, although how much difference it really makes it questionable.

I've done the same kinda thing in the other wing behind my oil cooler:

You shouldn't need to be worrying about heat really though on a stage 1 map, my daily copes just fine on the standard SMIC.

As for G/s figures, unless you're going to the redline, it doesn't mean anything. Peak power will be made at high revs, so you need to do a pull all the way to the redline to see where the peak airflow is occuring. It won't be right at the redline due to the turbo running out of puff, but it'll be fairly high up, between 5.5 and 6.5k I'd imagine. On a remapped car you'r really looking for 160g/s upwards.

To be making the 210 they claimed, you're looking for 168 g/s
  12. <tuffty/>

[Aug 21, 2011]
    Be surprised if it makes that much difference... S3's have them as std and once mapped the SMIC's are next to useless... FMIC FTW etc :thumbsup:

<tuffty/>
  13. <tuffty/>

[Aug 21, 2011]
    Yes, full throttle for all logging in this case... you are trying to log to work out if you have issues with your performance so full throttle runs are needed...

The highest airflow you recorded was only at just under 4k rpm... there will be more to come lol...

<tuffty/>
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  14. a3Nate

a3Nate Member

[Aug 21, 2011]
    ive got the shareware version and looked at the logging pages,how the hell you lot know what each block tells you what it then means what it should be and whats wrong i dont know lol need to go on a vag com course lol
  15. <tuffty/>

[Aug 21, 2011]
    ...coz I am brilliant!! :thumbsup:

...also because of experience of working with these cars and this helps too..
    http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/m_blocks/

<tuffty/>
  16. A3 T

A3 T Lord Of The Rings

[Aug 22, 2011]
    So a bit of mixed views on the arch mod...lol

How did you do yours mate, Did you cut slits then shape them with a heat gun or did you fit a grill/s3 arch ?

TBH... I'm surprised its not been mentioned on here as its a cheap mod.

I noticed while out driving today that the max boost is reached long before redline.... Is it safe for the turbo to push it that much?

Thank f*ck for that....lol :racer:

I didn't think you could do things like logging...etc with the shareware version of vagcom :ohmy:
  17. a3Nate

a3Nate Member

[Aug 23, 2011]
    not sure about logging you get some of the measuring blocks with temps/flow etc like i say new to vagcom/vcds and new to vags generally lol thought id try shareware as it shows fault codes so it would help trace my running probs!