1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can someone explain this one??

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by ollyste, Sep 6, 2006.

1. ollyste

ollyste Member

when pulling up last night to get some cigs,the audio chime came on as i was leaving the car altho i had turned off my lights (side and main)?
    when i returned the passenger side front/rear side lights had remained on,and when entering the car the audible chime was still on.
    once i had put the keys back into the ignition to turn the light switch on it was ok, altho i did try to copy what had happened the same thing happened again when i had turned off the lights and removed the key that the passenger side again remained on front/rear??
    got a bit worried as to when i got home that this would happen again and find myself with a flat battery this morning.but it was ok when i parked up for the evening and all lights went out. phew!!!
    btw its a V plate s3 and not seen anything like this before??
    what may be the cause of this my friends, please help cos no doubt its gonna happen again??

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Jaywoo_A3

Jaywoo_A3 Audi dead, 2.0T all the way!

Did you leave your left indicator on when you parked?
    because the according sidlights stay on if the indicators are on and the ignition is off, hence the audiable tone.
    Its caught me out a few times?:think:

4. Olly_K

Olly_K Administrator

are you sure the switch was definately off ? not sure on S3's but a hire car I had once had a setting before the off setting which turned on the sidelights when the ignition was off, and then had 2 more settings for sidelights and main lights whilst driving

edit....also on my mk2 golf you could leave the indicator left/right on for left lights or right hand side lights

5. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member
    VCDS Map User Audi S3 Audi RS3

You must have left your indicator on.

6. PaulRS3

PaulRS3 Well-Known Member

parking light.

if you leave indicator in either direction, it leaves those lights on that side of the car on.

7. ollyste

ollyste Member

nice one boys,yes i had left the indicator on to turn left.
    my god this is a great site! cheers!!

8. Olly_K

Olly_K Administrator

9. silver75

silver75 Big Ron

Yes. It is.

10. Wicked666

Wicked666 Active Member

what's a parking light?

11. jcs356

jcs356 Brum brum

It's for when you leave your car parked up on a very dark road deep in the countryside you flick the indicator for the bit of the car sticking out into the carriageway, and it leaves the sidelights on on that side of the car. Designed to stop people running into you car. As it only works on one side at a time, it puts less of a drain on the battery.

Guess now streetlighting is a lot more common people use them less and less - although from memory you may still have to use them in some European countries?

12. FactionOne

FactionOne Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

I'm pretty sure the highway code has something to say about parking in the dark on roads of 40mph limit or above and leaving either your sidelights or parking lights on?

Regards,

Rob.