1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can some one help with a make shift tool for strut mounts

Discussion in 'A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)' started by audi-a6, Dec 20, 2013.

1. audi-a6

audi-a6 Active Member

Basically ever since i fitted my coilovers, every month or so im having to take the rear struts out and tighten up the nut, i think its because i have never had a good enough tool to tighten it right up. Iv been using a socket, with a hole on the side to put a bar in for leverage and then the only thing i can use to hold the strut still is a pair of long nose pliers. I know there is a proper tool from audi, but will only use once. Any other ideas???

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost!
    Staff Member Moderator quattro Audi S3

It should be tight enough using a pair of long nose mole grips and turning the strut part with an Allen key. If the nut is coming loose, I suggest you get a new nut, it should have the nylon but that makes hard to undo, or try and stick some thread lock on it. The proper tool is a socket with a hole in it like yours, but there's a nut shape on the top so you can use a ring/open end spanner to hold it still whilst doing up the Allen key part.

4. audi-a6

audi-a6 Active Member

mine is slightly different as i dont have the allen key bit,i have a square bit on top of the strut