1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I SAND the back bumper?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Defratos, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Defratos

Defratos You’re Dethpicable!!

[Jan 17, 2006]
    Hey guys, just curiouse but does anyone know if I can use ordinary sand paper to sand down a thin piece of the rear bumper? ( if anyone's seen the Quads it's for the right outlet) it just needs a lil trim. Or can u offer anything better to use?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 29, 2014]

3. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

[Jan 17, 2006]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hey guys, just curiouse but does anyone know if I can use ordinary sand paper to sand down a thin piece of the rear bumper? ( if anyone's seen the Quads it's for the right outlet) it just needs a lil trim. Or can u offer anything better to use?

[/ QUOTE ]

Use wet&Dry... If theres large edges or something, then emery cloth, then wet&dry.

Rich
  4. madvw

madvw Active Member

[Jan 17, 2006]
    yup, wet and dry. Dont use sandpaper as its way too harsh and you'll spend ages trying to polish it out.

dont be tempted to rub too hard either, or you'll have the same problem.

as when sanding any plastic, it will turn a lighter colour when you sand it (i.e. grey in your case), so it'll need a good polish to restore the original bumper colour.
  5. Defratos

[Jan 17, 2006]
    ok so what is Wet&Dry? you guys seem familiar with it? =) would I be able to get it from any decent home store or somethin? and what is it described as used for?
  6. RichA3Turbo

[Jan 17, 2006]
    [ QUOTE ]
    ok so what is Wet&Dry? you guys seem familiar with it? =) would I be able to get it from any decent home store or somethin? and what is it described as used for?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wet&dry is normally available from car places like halfords .etc. Mainly used for car bodywork..Its fine abbrasive paper, than you can use wet, and dry! Its best to se is wet as it gives a smoother finish.

Rich
  7. imported_fingermouse

imported_fingermouse Guest

[Jan 17, 2006]
    it looks like black paper and comes in a number of grades, its good for flatting off paint etc.
  8. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

[Jan 17, 2006]
    I would say you might want something like a dremmel if it's more than just smothing the edge... wet and dry is really for finishing work IMO!
  9. Defratos

[Jan 18, 2006]
    Cheers guys, I'll try it out sometime and see how it goes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  10. Defratos

[Jan 18, 2006]
    This is the area I'm thinking of working on, would Wet&dry or dremmel be ok to use here?

[​IMG]
  11. Markb

Markb Active Member

[Jan 18, 2006]
    If I was doing it I would use some small metal files then smooth it off with sand paper.
  12. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

[Jan 18, 2006]
    [ QUOTE ]
    If I was doing it I would use some small metal files then smooth it off with sand paper.

[/ QUOTE ]

what he said, it looks like you need to take too much off to use wet & dry and too little to use a fine saw... hard to tell without having a look at it in real life though.
  13. Defratos

[Jan 18, 2006]
    cool, thanks. BTW have any of you done any bumper chopping, grinding work? Just curiouse cause it sounds like u guys have used the tools before /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  14. RichA3Turbo

[Jan 18, 2006]
    Thats why i suggested emery cloth... Its easier to work with than sand paper. Once youve rmoved it, use wet&dry to 'finish' it.
  15. Markb

Markb Active Member

[Jan 18, 2006]
    [ QUOTE ]
    cool, thanks. BTW have any of you done any bumper chopping, grinding work? Just curiouse cause it sounds like u guys have used the tools before /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I've done loads of work like this before on my car. Metal files are my prefered tools LOL
  16. Defratos

[Jan 18, 2006]
    lol sweet, so I'm guessing I would find a metal file at Halfords or somewhere? are there different grades I need to get? or all the same finish? btw what is emery cloth?
  17. imported_fingermouse

imported_fingermouse Guest

[Jan 19, 2006]
    emery cloth is a very harsh sandpaper designed for use on metal and is black in colour.

there are a number of grades of files and a number of profiles. I know homebase do a set of 3 for about 10 quid and they are ok.

The roughest grade of file is a rasp or b@stard file. The best ones for you to get are probally the half round one so you have a curved side and a flat side.
  18. Defratos

[Jan 19, 2006]
    cool, thanks for the help Fingermouse. I'll try puttin in some work sometime soon. I'll let u guys know how I get on. Thanks again for the help