Can i return some alloy wheels?

Andy123

Reaction score
I bought some alloy wheels off of ebay for my s3. Well i actually paid for them outside of ebay using paypal because i wanted some performance tyres put on them. The company i bought them off trade on ebay and are a limited company. I received them this morning and i really don't like them. For some reason in the flesh they look totally different to the pictures if that makes any sense. I am not going to put them on the car and i asked them if i can return them and they said no, which i expected them to say.

Now does anyone know if i am within my rights to return them and get a refund for them? Any help would be appreciated because ultimately i will end up having to sell them on ebay and probably lose out on a fair bit of money.

Thanks

Andy

I dont think you will be able to get a refund, it all depends on the company policy, im pretty sure they will only replace or refund if they are faulty.

Check the Citizens Advice Bereau website, sure they will be able to advise.....

Out of interest, which ones are they, have you got a pic or link to them??

You maybe able to sell them on here :)

There is a law where you can return any item within 2 weeks of receiving if ordered over the internet.

Expect to pay for the shipping and maybe a restocking fee if they are *****.

According to the sale of goods act, you can only return them if they are faulty or not as decribed (if they weren't declared faulty at the time of sale). The seller is not obligated to give you a refund if you simply change your mind.

Here's a good site that puts this fairly complex act into simple English:

http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html

Ok thanks guys. Im guessing i might be stuck with them then. How can i upload a picture to the thread? From the original pictures i liked them however in the flesh i have changed my mind and they are not really my cup of tea. I guess i was stupid to have ordered them in the first place. I had brand new s306 yokohama tyres fitted on them. Looks like i will have to lose some money on them now.

Thanks for the responses.

Andy

Also, if you have a premium paypal account, you can dispute the payment, as you have tried to return the good, and you can get all your money back. With a standard account I think the limit is under £100, still worth it as you can then offset that against selling them on.
As a limited company, they woudl still have to abide by the usual trading laws, and I beluve that you are entitled to return goods within 28 days as long as they are not used, although I am no legal expert.
Save a copy of the ebay add, in case you want to go the small climas court route, it will cost you £50, and if they are far different from the add, you may have a good shot

Good Luck

A lot of purchases from Ltd companies are actually covered under the Distance Selling Regs nowadays. I think it all depends if the company trade as a company on eBay or as a private seller.

I'd go back and check the listing as eBay have been putting a mention about the Distance Selling Regulations on listings recently.

Why dont you just put the ebay link up if its still live and we can see the pics from there....

Thanks, i have read that and emailed the seller but they said:
[FONT=arial,sans-serif]
hope you understand but once tyres are fitted they are classed as second hand if tyres come off they may mark them ,also if they got damaged at all i could not take them back either
[/FONT]

so they actually look even worse in real life? Christ, they must be U G L Y!!!!

Who fitted the tyres? did you have them fitted, or was it the place that sold you the rims?

I think it's his problem really, if they're not as they appear in the pictures, you should be entitled to a refund.

If he can't take a tyre off without marking the rim, that's his problem too.

Best bet is take it as a mistake and try n flog them on ebay.

You may well get back what you spent on them if your lucky.

yeah the guy they were bought off fitted the tyres himself. I don't know what was going through my head when i bought them. I have put them on ebay now so hopefully ill get back near to what i paid however everyone always expects a cheap deal on ebay!

They will be to someone's taste but having seen them and more importantly putting them next to the car they don't go in my opinion.

Finger's crossed i don't lose too much.

They do look ok to be honest, bit like the Porsche wheels.

Dont worry though mate, im sure they will sell.

yeah you are right there- i have been offered 525 delivered, i paid 640. Do you think i should sell them at that price and cut my losses or hang out for more?

hell yes!!! you've been offered 80% of the original cost for something which is second hand (be it used or not)

I'd bite their hand off!

other option, as the rims only cost you £250, and you've got some decent tyres, you could always buy some rims you like, and have the tyres fitted onto them.... Then sell those rims off for £150ish. That way, you still only loose £100

yeah that was what i was thinking- just accept the mistake and cut the losses and get rid of them now.

I don't think i will hang on to the tyres, too much aggro getting them removed and then selling the rims on when i can just be rid of them now albeit slightly out of pocket!

I am going to rethink the wheel situation, i might just go the route of refurbishing my standard avus wheels in a darker colour.

Sell em cut your losses and put the money into either getting your avus revamped or buying a set of wheels you actually like this time :)

The Avus were designed to go with the car so they will suit it, get them refurbed or if you will buy after market wheels go somewhere where you can see what the wheels look like up against the car before buying.