1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I retro fit the DIS fuel computer??

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Mick Green, May 1, 2008.

1. Mick Green

Mick Green New Member

[May 1, 2008]
    I have bought an 05 1.9 TDI SE, unfortunately the last owner was too tight to pay the £250 to have the driver information system (DIS) fuel computer.

Do you know if I can buy a module and change the windscreen wiper control to retro fit the DIS?

Any help would be appreciated.:think:
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 25, 2014]

3. Siena

Siena Active Member

[May 2, 2008]
    Yes, you can.

A lot of rewiring involved though.

IIRC, you'll need to replace the entire dash wiring harness - the DIS wiring is integrated.

Then you'll need an instrument cluster, control stalk and a LOT of coding to get the lot to work.

Some extra sensors may be required too.
  4. TrickyLad

TrickyLad is loving his new A3

[May 2, 2008]
    i asked the audi garage and they have said the cost of retrofitting one would be too ridiculous to quote a price for.

yes its £250 to have it fitted at factory, but the way guy in service centre was talking sounded like it would be costing around £700 (low side) and £1000 (top side)

if you manage it could you pm me. i also got a car with a stingy previous owner and want the DIS added
  5. TFSI

TFSI Born to Fish

[May 2, 2008]
    £700-£1000 way way to much money for what you get out of it. £250 is bloody expensive for what it does.
  6. Issac Hunt

Issac Hunt Active Member

[May 2, 2008]
    Does the car have the full height DIS Display?? I retro-fitted this to my Dad's A4 and we only needed to change the wiper stalk and re-code with VAG-COM. No extra wiring was needed apaprt from grounding one wire to turn off the low washer fluid level. I know its not the same car but got to be worth a try?
  7. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[May 2, 2008]
    Obviously the previous owner of these guys cars also thought £250 was too expensive which is why they have a problem. Personally I always specify the DIS on my cars. I find it very useful.
  8. TrickyLad

[May 2, 2008]
    the reason they gave for it costing a lot was because the wiring would be highly complicated given that the car is already built and has engines in place, making the work fiddly. so the labour cost would be high.
    they would have to fit sensors all over the car, rear seats, petrol tank, tyres, engine bay.

he said it would be a lot of work.

given the "yeah we can do that, its only a small job" for when i asked for cruise control fitting and they quoted me £300, i guess the sheer shock in his voice means the price would be massive to get the DIS fitted.

be interested to hear if people had asked and got quotes from the service centre.
  9. Issac Hunt

Issac Hunt Active Member

[May 2, 2008]
    Sensors for what?! Adding the DIS only gives you MPG figures and time/distance counters.

Audi dealers really do talk a load of rubbish sometimes! I did this retro-fit on an A4 and it cost £70 all in. Buy a wiper stalk and be a guinea pig!

£300 for crusie is a disgrace, the parts only cost £65. Get your spanners out - It is a simple job.
  10. TrickyLad

[May 2, 2008]
    oh yeah, add a driving feature to your car when you have no previous experience.

cracking idea :applaus:
  11. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[May 2, 2008]
    DIS also gives you the oil temperature and a second digital speedo as well as the 2 memories for time, distance, average speed, average mpg. I personally find the digital speedo useful when I go abroad as I can easily set it to kph. I also like the fuel left display as I find when I am sitting in my normal comforatable driving position the steering wheel rim blocks out the fuel gauge.

As for retro fitting, it's the same with most things. The parts are generally not very expensive. It's the labour element that costs the money. If you can do this yourself then you will obviously save money as the labour cost is zero.
  12. Issac Hunt

Issac Hunt Active Member

[May 2, 2008]
    You could always nicely ask a forum member to assist you. Many members here are willing to help with things like that, be it practical assistance or just with advice and tips. Or you could just be sarcastic and ungrateful.
  13. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

[May 3, 2008]
    modern Audi's only have the bare minimum wiring harness that suit the model it was made for. While all things are possible (I've fitted Aircon to my 8L A3 - DONT ASK! LOL) unless your wiling to study the wiring diagrams and able to buy the parts 2nd hand its always going to be very very expensive.
  14. alijames

alijames Active Member

[May 3, 2008]
    If you are not a practical chap, give Gareth at 'Hazzy Dayz' a call. He is an ex-VAG engineer, and can retro-fit most electrics. I'm sure he will be able to do this, and he runs mobile too.

http://www.vwcruise.com/

Cheers,
  15. Relaxitscool

Relaxitscool Member

[May 3, 2008]
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but how do you get the digital speedo on the DIS?

Rob
  16. synthdood

synthdood Member

[May 4, 2008]
    Digital speedo is only available since 2007 or so. My 2005 sportback does not have it.