1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I remove the headlight lens?

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by TURBOTRONICS, Feb 23, 2010.

1. TURBOTRONICS

TURBOTRONICS Member

Iv noticed that some **** has started to building up on the inside of the headlight lens and before I damage it trying to remove it I was wondering if it is possible to remove it without taking the headlight out
  2. crazy88

crazy88 Loving the anonymity

As far as I know, it is not possible. From what i have read regarding the Joey Mod (darkening the chrome bits within the lights) in order to remove the lens you need to practically bake the whole headlight unit to remove the front clear lens as the glue is rather tough in order to seal it.

I washed my car on saturday and noticed my near side headlight has also begun to get filled with ****, so I was considering a Joey Mod this summer perhaps.
  3. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

You'd not be able to do it without taking the headlight out, but that's an easy enough job.

As mentioned you can either soften the bond in an oven, or else use a heat gun and slowly prise the lens off the body. Do a search for "Joey mod" on Audizine or A4mods and you'll find something.
  4. simon.m

simon.m Active Member

id not use a heat gun on it may get a weeeeeee be to hot and melt it as it would only take a sec to melt
    but if you do melt it as its plastic just make sure you get a cool shape out of it lol
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  5. niftyandy

niftyandy Member

Ahem.....£163 for a new headlight unit!!
  6. quattrojames

Both the oven method and a heat gun are tried and tested ways of doing this.

Read THIS
  7. simon.m

simon.m Active Member

just had a look. looks good mate do you think you would get some led strips in them like the new audi ?
  8. TURBOTRONICS

TURBOTRONICS Member

i think i will give that a go when the weather picks up
    but will it not affect the beam alignment when i remove the headlight with having HID'S
  9. quattrojames

Yeh you will have to get the lights re-aligned afterwards.