can I get front drive shafts off a TQS without pulling the uprights/arms off?

jcb

Reaction score
Tried searching but only came up with full front end rebuilds
I have to do my front CV gaitors for the MOT on the 4th and have only ever done them when replacing arms.

Could really do without pulling uprights/pinch bolts etc....especially with what is likely to be a hangover

Yeah I'm sure you can drop the gearbox shaft end first and have just enough room to pull it from the upright and out.

cheers.
I know it is going to be a suck it and see moment but short of trying to pull the outer CV without taking the shaft off I was trying to avoid removing things I didnt need to!

It's only 7 bolts and the shaft is out then you can place the shaft in a vice and simply knock off the outer joint.

short answer is NO!
had the driveshaft unbolted in under 15 mins, no amount of twisting turning prising etc would give enough clearance

bottom rear would not move so I pulled the pinch bolt and it opens right up.

while I was at it I compared the two sets of CV's I have. the original ones from the TQS and the ones I was advised to use on the S4 hubs I have for the 8pots.
the TQS hubs are much wider in the body and the CV boots I got would have been really stretched.
the ABS ring looks the same size

no idea where they came from but am not sure they are standard TQS CV's

update on this!
drivers side...no chance
passenger side....easy. bit of wiggling, bit of lock to lock
shaved 40 minutes off the job.

not easy in the dark as it starts to rain!

I'm sure i dropped the n/s mount and unbolted the o/s mount off the box you can wiggle the drivers out I may have been dreaming lol

well I tried for 15 mins before I figured I was wasting more time.
couldnt get the box end to clear the flange regardless of how much lock either way I put on

its done anyway!
thank god! dont want to be thinking about that for a while!

MOT tomorrow