1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I Fit a 2001 Audi S3 Gearbox In My Standard 1.8t Quattro 2000 A3?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by RobinWilko, Feb 26, 2014.

1. RobinWilko

RobinWilko New Member

[Feb 26, 2014]
    Hi, I'm new to this so I apologise if I don't make sense.
    I currently own a 2000 audi a3 1.8t Quattro and the gearbox is getting to the end of its life. I was wondering if it is possible to fit a S3 gearbox in its place? obviously a gearbox of the same year or close to. and if so is there any extra things I will need to purchase?
    hope you lads can help. thanks
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 26, 2014]

3. Alex C

Alex C Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Feb 27, 2014]
    Sandra likes this.
  4. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

[Feb 27, 2014]
    Yes you can use an S3 gear box (or a TT one for that matter)...

Is yours the 5 speed box or the 6 speed box?

Main differences between these boxes other than a few gear ratios is the cable connection points and transfer box bracket design... early boxes use a ball and socket for gear cable connections where later boxes use a pin and clip type setup... earlier boxes use an alloy bracket for the transfer box support to the back of the block, later boxes uses a steel one... 2001 is a change over year so early AMK S3's have the ball/socket and alloy bracket setup while later AMK's (and BAM's) have the pin/clip and steel bracket setup...

If yours is ball/socket and new box is pin/clip you can swap the parts from yours (changer arms) and you are good to go... your 2000 A3 should have the alloy type transfer box bracket, if the new box has the later steel one then make sure you get the bracket with the box and just use that... the alloy bracket doesn't fit the later box from what I can see (although I have not gone out of my way to try) but the later bracket setup will fit your car so no real drama

<tuffty/>