can i do a icm delete on my 1998 audi a4 quattro 1.8t

aaron lofton

Reaction score
can some one please give me step by step and pictures on how to do the icm delete on my 1999 Audi a4 quattro 1.8t if it can be done.do to the fact that my 4 pin fell on my down pipe and melted and messed up the icm do to the last owner removing the air box?
parts ill need and about how much it will cost.

Look at my build thread mate. There is info how to do it.

Get yourself the repair loom from TPS for £25/30 ish

Then you need to lay the harness on the engine and cut it roughly at the temp sensor, i labelled each wire using a multimeter (coil 1 pin 2, coil 4 pin 1 etc) to make things easier, now you can heat shrink, solder or pin up a connector like the 034 kit.

Then i used this -

I then cut the wiring insulation from all the wiring for coils and icm and labelled them cut the plugs off the icm and pulled the wires back and cut them at the 'Y' in the harness rather than bridging at the icm. Your best bet is just to keep looking over the diagram to get a sense of whats going where i didnt fully understand it at first but it all makes sense once you take it all in.

Heres some pics from my install :-

Before

After

As you can see above i used the heatwrap that comes on one of the loom connectors which isnt needed so i unstiched it and made up a little heatwrap for the coil wiring.

if i do this will or can it kill my engine what are the pros and cons?

Only thing that will happen is non start or misfire if you pin/solder it up wrong, or you could pop the ecu if you somehow manage to put a 12v feed wire on the 5v signal wire. Apart from that its all pro's really as the coils are cheaper, no prone failing ICM and better spark/idling.