1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can Hold Assist be set permanently on?

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by PembsA3, Mar 15, 2014.

1. PembsA3

PembsA3 Active Member

I know Hold Assist has been the subject of numerous posts but I can't find reference to my particular question... I have Hold Assist optioned on my car. I remember someone on the forum once mentioning that once activated they never had to touch the handbrake or Hold Assist buttons again... Whenever I switch the ign off and on again, the light on the Hold Assist button goes out - so it deactivates on restart. Can I set it to be permanently activated through the MMI settings?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. MA3RC

MA3RC Well-Known Member
    Team Brill Red Audi Sport Owner Group Team Glacier Audi A3 Audi A1

You just press the hold assist button the once and it's on permanently. It's how it works in my car. I've never touched the hand brake as when you are stopped for good, taking your belt off engages the hand brake.

4. PembsA3

PembsA3 Active Member

Does the light on your Hold Assist button stay illuminated after ignition switched off and on again?

5. smk82

smk82 Active Member

No. As MA3RC mentioned, once the hold assist button is pushed its on. When you stop the car and take off your seatbelt the hold assist light will go out, and the parking brake light will turn on. (You'll notice it in the DIS, when Hold assist is working, the parking light will appear green, when hold assist isn't active it will be red).

When you get in the car and turn on the ignition, the parking brake light will be illuminated, and the hold assist light will turn on once you put your seatbelt on.

6. veeeight

veeeight I am a very pretty girl
    VCDS Map User Black Edition

There may be a couple (or more) of occasions where you may find switching off Hold Assist beneficial:

1. Slow speed forwards and backwards manoeuvring (eg parking in a tight spot)

2. Automated conveyor type car washes (gasp) - things will get very interesting if you left Hold Assist on !!!!

7. PembsA3

PembsA3 Active Member

Great. Thanks for the clarification.