Can anyone with vag com in Glasgow area program my Xenons tonight lol? Or tomorrow?

latta1989

Reaction score
Just fitted my Xenons today took ages an need them programmed now. Already speaking to someone who can poss do it on Monday but I don't want to be drivin about with sidelights an foglights for the rest of the weekend. Would be amazed if anyone can help. Thanks!

No worries mate. I'm not but I can be lol. I've never had anyone help me with vag com before and don't know if this is a silly question but would you be lookin for money?

No money needed, glad to help fellow member. Not 100% what you need over and above using it to select Xenon in module 9 (central electronincs). I will look into what is needed though.

That's great mate. Hopin thts all it is. It's just single xenon and it's 2006 a3 quattro 2.0tdi if tht makes a diff. Iv not put in auto level or washers either. And before someone tells me I know thts not technically legal lol.

In that case, all I can do is tell the car they are there. You will no doubt get errors for not having the sensors & not sure they will be level RE MOT standard.

Leave him Khufu...his just going to be another B*stard that blinds people with crap fitting Xenons...They should ban the ****** things so muppets cant get hold of them.

He agrees Paddy LOL. They may also however point 2 feet in front of his car, depends on how they were positioned when donor last ran....

Hey let's just calm it lol. Don't worry I hate those people too and would appreciate if you didn't jump to conclusions or call me a *******! It's just a temp thing the now. Will get round to it when cashflow allows. And also yeah they are basically pointing at the ground at the moment and I'm going to adjust them in mates garage to mot standard. If I was an idiot an wanted to blind folk I wld hav just bought hid kit for cheap and not spend a few hundred on the real thing!

Last edited:
With regards the self-levelling, I think people think they adapt dynamically and super-fast under all driving - AFAIK they are essentially load-levelling motors so that they don't point up if you have, say, 5 adults in the car and lot of luggage. So as long as the beam is set correctly they should be fine with OEM xenons. Technically illegal, yes, but not blinding unless they are set too high.

They don't adjust that much under driving afaik (maybe under a bump but it's have to be big!?), someone once mentioned about blinding other traffic going up hills etc, this happens with any lights, xenon or otherwise because your view is momentarily lower than the headlight beam of a car coming over a hill. If they dipped down up a hill, if it was steep you'd have no lights as they'd point vertically (ie 2 ft in front of the car!). Similarly they would point to "horizontal" coming down a hill which would make then super blinding etc.

The self-levelling is just to ensure they are at the proper height for the vehicle based on a sensor on the rear axle and one at the front (it's not a spirit level!). It's just that it's automatic to ensure they do stay at the same level with this (now not so new) brighter bulb technology, that if they were out of alignement would be much more blinding than an out-of-alignment halogen headlight.

Last edited:
My issue was that without the leveling motors fitted I cant actually set them with vagcom. I can tell the car that they are present but i will just give errors as the module isnt there.

Why bother until you have the proper kit ? these lights are a nuisance to all road users unless set up properly. The idea that you can fit them then take no passengers or shopping in the back without blinding other road users seems a bit daft to me.The amount of times you get some plonker lighting up ya car from behind and blinding you in ya mirrors or worse , coming at you down a dark lane leaving you to guess where the road goes on your side !! just wait till you can fit them properly and do us all a favour. there is a very good reason why these things come with levelling devises.

The self-levelling is just to ensure they are at the proper height for the vehicle based on a sensor on the rear axle and one at the front (it's not a spirit level!). It's just that it's automatic to ensure they do stay at the same level with this (now not so new) brighter bulb technology, that if they were out of alignement would be much more blinding than an out-of-alignment halogen headlight.

That begs the question , why do people spend £000's of pounds fitting them if they are no more likely to blind someone than normal bright halogens....A bit daft dont you think ? also Vehicles equipped with HID headlamps are required by ECE regulation 48 also to be equipped with headlamp lens cleaning systems and automatic beam levelling control. Both of these measures are intended to reduce the tendency for high-output headlamps to cause high levels of glare to other road users.

Last edited: