1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anyone help - possible wheel bearing failing.

Harribo66 Mar 19, 2013

1. Harribo66

Harribo66 Member

As I'm driving it sounds as if my front drivers side (i think) wheel bearing if on its way out.

There is a whining sound when I'm driving, I can hear it clearer when I'm cruising. As my speed increases it seems to get louder and higher pitched.

Is there anyway I can check the bearing to make sure that it is that or I have the correct one.

cheers,

2. RobMorris

RobMorris Member

Jack it up and spin the wheel mate to listen for the grind..

3. duffy78

duffy78 Member

If you turn left and the noise gets louder it's the right bearing and vice versa.

4. @udi A3

@udi A3 Site Sponsor Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

does it get louder on left hand bends when the wieght is on the bad wheel?

5. mitch18

mitch18 New Member

iv got the exact same problem at the minute, the noise starts around 20mph and gets horribly worse as I pick up speed although it only disappears when I turn left ! iv been quoted £30 for a bearing and 2 and half hours for the labour ! don't suppose you know how easy it is to do your self do you?? did my mechanic course 6 years ago and not really touched a car since lol

6. Mike_B

Mike_B Active Member

Take a look at the first page of Rob Morris' current thread on his 2.5 - the info there might help? Mike

7. robotplant

robotplant Member

I'ts not a bad job, make sure you have the correct torx tools. The four bolts holding the bearing can be tough to undo, I had to use heat on my bolts to undo. You also need a vice a big lump hammer and large socket to hammer the bearing out and new one in.

8. Harribo66

Harribo66 Member

Thanks for all the replys guys ill get my car up at weekend.

Mitch18 - where did you get the quote for £30 for the bearing, I have only seen on Ecp for £80-&120

9. robotplant

robotplant Member

Ebay!