1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anyone guess what this is?

warren_S5 Oct 6, 2010

  1. warren_S5

    warren_S5 Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

    Afternoon all; I'm after a bit of wisdom and knowledge as I can't work out what this part is:


    The bit in the red circle. If you look into the engine bay head on, it's directly behind the high pressure fuel pump.

    The plastic cap at the head of the metal unit has broken (possible due to excessive heat / cooling / vibration), and whilst I've managed to cobble it back together with tape, cable ties and a bit of 'jedi' I doubt it will last long. Unfortunately the cheap bit (loom connector) looks to be fine.

    Unit will have to be replaced in full as the plastic connector is an integral part of the unit, there are 2 metal prongs inside it. The unit bolts straight to the top of the engine. No doubt it will be expensive, but saving grace is it looks DIY as there are only 2 (fairly accessible) screws holding it in place.

    Answers on a postcard....


  2. Stiggles

    Stiggles Top Gear!

    Im not 100% on this but I think it may be something to do with the ECU, my old golf had something that looked similar to that and when it was removed the power disappeared, don't hold me to it xD but i think thats what it looked like
  3. warren_S5

    warren_S5 Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

    Hmmm, if that is the case, I suppose I better not risk it. I'm about to do a 800 mile round trip and this crops up. I suppose I'd better head round to Audi Parts and take my trousers down as I don't want to be stranded 400 miles from home which is where if it goes wrong, its going to happen.
  4. S3RYE

    S3RYE Interior Next!!

    dont forget the vaseline!!
  5. Ash B

    Ash B Well-Known Member

    Not too sure what it is myself, but hope you get it sorted soon with no hassle and its to expensive.

  6. drsilviuro

    drsilviuro Member

    Not 100% sure but I think it's the camshaft control valve. Part number 06F 109 257 A
  7. warren_S5

    warren_S5 Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

    Supposedly its a variable valve timing sensor (according to the Audi tech).

    The parts & service guys asked for a look under the bonnet as they couldn't work out exactly what I was asking for. When the saw the mods under the bay lets just say I got the usual gurning face of disapproval because there were unexpected pipes, sponges and bits other trinkets that they weren't expecting. Initially I did think the service tech was having an epileptic fit, but then I realised the disapproving facial gestures are one of the unique ways that Audi UK franchises condescend their customers who choose the path less ordinary (e.g. modification). I hadn't been into a dealership for a while and had forgotten how astute they were at it!! That said he seemed knowledgeable enough, so I can't complain.

    The service guy has just called me with a price of £61.52+VAT, so it's bought and will be fitted ahead of the mammoth journey! Shame as it's only a bloody crack in the plastic clip on the top of it, but it puts a fair bit of stress on the two metal prongs inside, and if it was to break I'm not sure I'd want the VVT systems not working!

    For higher mileage cars maybe just worth a check to make sure yours is OK, especially if you've removed your engine cover quite often, or fitted an intake (and potentially exposed this part to any stresses as it was incredibly hot when I just touched it).
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  8. chrissy1502002

    chrissy1502002 Member

    100% correct, i had to replace mine about a month or so ago.
  9. A3_Rider

    A3_Rider Well-Known Member

    Would it not have been better to go down the independent specialist route?
  10. PH1L

    PH1L Gievf Buckets

    its the vvt aka knock sensor for timing

Share This Page