Can any one help? Trouble code

Reaction score
Hi all

Went to Seat to get a diagnostic on my a3 because it went in to a safe mode week ago.
Anyways this come up

18359 P1951 000

Coolant Fan-2
difficulty of movement/blocked
sporadic

Hope that means some think two some one, ment two be going down Newquay in it next week.

Thanks

Dan:beerchug:

Last edited by a moderator:
18359/P1951/006481 - Radiator Fan 2 (V177): Movement Restricted / Jammed

Possible Causes

• Coolant Fan 2 (V177) restricted/jammed
Possible Solutions

• Check Coolant Fan 2 (V177) for Restriction/Blockade
    • Check for Foreign Objects and Accidental Damage as well as Restrictions
Special Notes

• Remove the Coolant Fan 2 (V177) Fuse(s) for Safety Reasons before checking it

Taken from the Ross tech Wiki!

fans run free. Tryed putting aircon on and both fans are working fine. Also tryed moving them by hand spin easy.
Would this make the car go into safe mode ?

Nope. Feel like its loss bit power tho. Dont feel like it pulls as hard when i put my foot down as it use too.

Yeah was gonna say if its cleared & works fine now then its one of those infamous anomalies with audis & yes if the fan isnt working properly then it would make the car go into a lesser mode to protect the car, given overheating would be apart from expensive but dangerous.

Ah good good SEAT said could just be just car showin a fault for no reason. Told me not 2 worry about it unless happens again or starts to over heating.

Just wanted to see what you guys thought of it. Because they said never seen that fault before.

HMM, My A3 went in to limp mode about 4 times down to Newquay and back, On the up hills bit as put footdown two overtake it would boost for sec there go into limp mode.
Would have to stop car restart it when would be fine again till i give it the beans, Had to very gently wit right foot
I was thinking N75 valve? Or maybe MAF?
Or should i say F*** it give it Audi to run diagnostic test? 85 quid tho

HMM, My A3 went in to limp mode about 4 times down to Newquay and back, On the up hills bit as put footdown two overtake it would boost for sec there go into limp mode.
Would have to stop car restart it when would be fine again till i give it the beans, Had to very gently wit right foot
I was thinking N75 valve? Or maybe MAF?
Or should i say F*** it give it Audi to run diagnostic test? 85 quid tho
I suspect that you have a 2.0TDi and the variable vanes are sticking on your Turbo and it is throwing an overboost error, it will then go into limp (safe) mode until you turn it off (reboot).

You need to get it scanned. Apparently you can clean the Turbo mechanism up, but the Turbo needs to come off to do so.

Paul

Yep the 2.0 tdi. Heared about variable vanes not sure how it all works, Dont the N75 valve go to the variable vanes?
Was told its my remap causing it? cant see that tho had remap almost year now been working fine why would remap just start causing it.

Dan, what did you do in the end, any further updates to your issue as I have experienced similar problem on my drive to Italy yesterday, went into limp mode twice, weird overall as has never done this.

Sorry i have just got back to you NHN. Not been on in a while
I was told it could be 2 things the Variable Vane turbo could be sooted up and not able 2 open fully/ i was told some of the audi turbos can be take off and cleaned out but some cant be taken apart.
2nd thing i was told if you have remapped the car. The map could be making it over boost.
I havnt done anythink more with it apart from taking in up to 4500rpm to hopfully getting rid some the soot if it is that. I can say so far so good touch wood!

ps. im getting rid of the car.
hope this helps sorry with late reply
:beerchug:

Dan take my advice after looking into this & now turbo has blown, drive it carefully & I will update you later on what happened to mine mate cause its now costing me 1-2k to repair & your exact reports from above are 100% same as mine were with fan error logged even if ok & overboosting errors with limp modes which reset after key off/on.

Was gonna do hybrid turbo anyway so guess made me do quicker just pain in **** now with oil everywhere & cleanup job.

DAM HHN 1-2k! Thanks for advice mate!! lucky for me i have just sold the car! Just in time by sounds of it!
was yours a 140 or 170?
Hope you get yours up and running soon mate, whats the hybrid turbo do for bhp's?

:beerchug:

lol, yeah think you were lucky then, mines a 140, I should have checked tbh with overboost errors happened about 5-6 times, so my bad, but hybrid was on cards, just ****** cleaning oil out is a pain in butt, damn annoyed.

220-240bhp on this turbo, so plenty, just hope engine head doesnt crack under pressure & mine, lol.