Can a Turbo'd car run without a DV

Charlies604

Reaction score
Ok.. so im doing engineering. I feel I should know this but i may be being stooooppid.

If u have a Turbo do you have to a a dump/diverter valve?

As far as I am aware YES. but sum1 told me otherwise today.

Unless you drive a big rally car with anti lag etc etc....

Cheers for the help!

dump or diverter valve is there to send the excess air pumped by your turbos somewhere else that is vented into the air or diverted back to the inlet, prevents backed up air working against the turbo , maybe he's thinking of superchargers or those naff electric superchargers on ebay

yes you should know that lol jk you doing mech eng?

Well this is what i always always thought. You need to vent the gas otherwise you get compressor stall.

Yeah doing mechanical and composites. Dont no how much longer ill stay tho. I seem t be learning to shuffle paper!
Its very dull and i dont really know what i want to do in life hehe!

They don't have to and didn't until around the early 90's.

You don't think stuff like the MG Metro turbo was that advanced - still running a dodgy SU carb set up?! LOL

Things like Saabs started having the Bosch DV's in the 90's and this is around the time people like Power Engineering & Bailey Motorsport started putting them on RS Turbo's and Cosworths.

Ah, the days of "real" turbo cars with $hit loads of lag! Another world compared to our 20V turbos! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

SO what did they do with waste inlet gas? Did they just let it stall and that gave it the lag?

Surely sumthin like a 200sx would have them standard. thats where the discusion started!

[ QUOTE ]
SO what did they do with waste inlet gas? Did they just let it stall and that gave it the lag?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what they did...

Hence the lag was more as you have to get the compressor spinning up to speed again before it starts making boost.

[ QUOTE ]

Surely sumthin like a 200sx would have them standard. thats where the discusion started!

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably...not sure.

200sx does have a dv standard.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what they did...

Hence the lag was more as you have to get the compressor spinning up to speed again before it starts making boost.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so did that lead to regular failures of turbo's?? i'm suprised i'd of thought they'd atleast have some sort of waste gate on the compressor -> inlet manifold

Dunno, I hasd a 200SX S13, can't remember if it had a DV standard, didn't really do a lot to it, didn't have it very long.

Yeah the lag I was on about was what we put up with. I went through a few turbo's on my S1 RS turbo, and noe on my S2 - which had a Bailey DV noteably.

Obviously they had wastegates but nothing to stop them from stalling.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep - As said before, that's what happened more or less.

The Renault 5 GT Turbo never had a DV either.

BUB

Oh god, the 5 turbo, ****** good fun, but i'd never have owned one!

Just add a bleed valve and stand back waiting to catch those engine parts! LOL

[ QUOTE ]
Oh god, the 5 turbo, ****** good fun, but i'd never have owned one!

Just add a bleed valve and stand back waiting to catch those engine parts! LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BUB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif