1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can a garage burn its old oil/ derv filters in a bin ?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by S3 Paul, Jan 24, 2011.

1. S3 Paul

S3 Paul Active Member Staff Member Regional Rep

Hi,
    Im just after some advice,
    Basicaly where i live there is a garage localy ( a matter of ten metres away ) that regularly burn old oil filters and the likes in a steel bin before putting them in a scrap bin,
    My problem is ... it stinks and makes horrible smoke,
    I myself have a wood burning boiler so this may sound just plain mardy but i checked the rules regarding my set up before it was fitted and as i dont live in a smoke free zone im fine . Is the same ok for the garage?
    My chimany is about 12 metre high and only ever shows very faint smoke when the lid is opened to top up with wood . This bin is on the floor and the smoke fills the area outside my door.

Should i just man up and live with it or can i say something??

Thanks
  2. Oranoco

Oranoco Well-Known Member

Doubt very much it's anywhere close to lawful. I should think it is in breach of all sorts of waste diposal and environmental rules.
  3. PaulTheo

PaulTheo Member

Not legal or a suitable method of waste diposal. Phone your council environmental services department if you don't fancy speaking to them about it.
  4. S3 Paul

S3 Paul Active Member Staff Member Regional Rep

Thanks,
    Thats kind of what i thought.
    I work at an engineering company and we have to pay for the waste oil to be removed,
    We as a company can not burn any waste now, but im not sure if we are in a smoke free zone ( same city but diffrent area )
  5. Keeno

Keeno Spooly Spooly Boosty Boosty!

Illegal. Simple.

It's meant to be disposed of by a licensed company, the garage is trying to cut corners to save cash.
  6. Taroni

Taroni Member

my mate owns a garage and he has to pay people to come in and collect used oil and filters