1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camblet without water pump change

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Ratzer, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Ratzer

Ratzer New Member

Hi
    I have just booked my car in for cambelt change (2.0 TDI 170 with nearly 70k on clock) the garge have advised me not to change water pump unless i really want to. This sounds crazy, but their advice was its not really necessary on a diesel engine. Any thoughts?
  2. mjr901

mjr901 S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

would be mad not too!!
  3. Geraldy212

Geraldy212 Sportback owner

Ratzer, the reason we tend to change the water pump at the same time as cambelt, is simply the labour costs. Having removed the cambelt, the water pump is right there, and can be changed in just a few minutes. As far as I know, the water pump on a diesel is the same kind of unit as found on a petrol, and does the same thing. I cannot understand why the garage gave you this advice. Suggest you go ahead and change the water pump, at least for peace-of-mind that it will last a long time. That's what I did. Good luck.
  4. TimG

TimG Active Member

Everybody changes the water pump, always!
  5. fangio

fangio Well-Known Member

Matter of course.....:sm4:
  6. andyhough

andyhough Member

The main reason the pump is changed is due to the plastic impeller becoming detached from the shaft causing nasty, and expensive overheating if you've got you foot up it at the time! We ran these engines at work and always, ALWAYS, changed the pump too as they're a known failure point, hope this helps
  7. audicruiser

audicruiser Audi Heaven

As said always change the pump at the same time, plus if the water pump goes then its as bad as the cambelt going...
  8. Old-Boy-Racer

Old-Boy-Racer Guest

9. H88

H88 Member

That maybe true as on my Audi service book,it says cam belt has been changed but nothing ever mentioned about water pump. My car has got full audi service history. I was a but confused and wondering why the previous owner of the car changed cam belt and not water pump?
  10. Jambo26

Jambo26 Member

as said labour cost to remove belt just to change a water pump and there only around £40 fromt tps could save you alot of money in the long run it the old unit fails.
  11. PaulRS3

PaulRS3 Well-Known Member

Always do the water pump.
    On my last 2 S3's (8L) I actually had the Audi plastic one replaced with an aftermarket metal one.
    As the plastic ones were prone to fail.