1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

camber adjustment ?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by tim, Jul 10, 2003.

1. tim

tim New Member

[Jul 10, 2003]
    The inner edges of my front tyres recently went bald in about 3000 miles. I have since replaced the wheels and tyres and had the tracking sorted and expected everything to be fine, but they are still wearing unevenly. my local garage said the camber is out and there is no adjustment on the car.

Are they correct ? and if so what can I do prevent my new tyres going the same way as it could get expensive!!!

2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 28, 2014]

3. kenny15

kenny15 Member

[Jul 10, 2003]
    What model is your car?
    kenny
  4. PaulBelsham

PaulBelsham Member

[Jul 11, 2003]
  5. tim

tim New Member

[Jul 11, 2003]
    The cars a 1.8T and has had damage to the front drivers side. The tyres/ wheels that Ive just put on are 18" pirelli p-zero's that have already done around 10k on my mates a3 1.6 sport.
    They had worn evenly on the inner/ outer edges on his car and are now noticeably more worn on the inner edges, after about 1000 miles on my car.

What else could need aligning, as its obviously more than just the tracking thats out and people say the cambers not adjustable.
  6. DavidR

DavidR Active Member

[Jul 11, 2003]
    It could simply be the wrong toe in angle and as I alluded to above, I would not trust the values generated by cheap tyre fit centre's so called 4 wheel alighnment. I have used the VAG approved Beissparth alignment tools only since a few unsuccessful experiences with the cheaper alignment tools leaving me with faulty suspension geometry. AFAIK, kwit fit etc do not even have (or at least don't refer to) the manufacturers recommended paramters. Such equipment can work out the thrust axis of the car which may be out due to previous accident damage.

An audi centre will chanrge roughly £120 whereas AmD or Star charge about £70.

Another point is that my S4 wore the inner edges off a set of Pilot Sports due to being underinflated (by the dealer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif) and it would be worth checking and perhaps putting a little more pressure in.

Finally, you should calculate the rolling radius of the new tyres/ wheel vs old. Clearly, if this is very much different, the camber will be affected by this change.

Cheers

Dave
  7. Gambba

Gambba Active Member

[Jul 11, 2003]
    It does depend on your driving style as well, if like me you are very spirited, then you will see the outer edges wear very rapidly, my tyres had only just been replaced before I went to RSD in the UK to have my chip fitted. So I'd only done about 300 miles, and he said he was pleased to see a driver that had brought his car in for a chip, and he based this on the fact that the outer edge was feathered and worn, but they still had the tabs on the side of the tyre!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Under inflation can cause the outer edge to wear, along with camber and toe, so I'd get it checked by somebody that knows what they are talking about. It also depends what you mean by worn as well.
  8. gdwood

gdwood New Member

[Jul 11, 2003]
    I've just had new tyres all round on my S3, as the old fronts had worn away the inner edges almost completely.

Even the Kwik-Fit crappy wheel alignment kit clearly showed the front wheels had been toeing-in to the tune of at least 2 degrees. As I've had the car from new, and I haven't kerbed it or been involved in any accident, I can only assume it was like that from the factory, which may account for others thinking all S3's wear the front tyres the same.

Not being too keen on trashing over £200 worth of Pilot Sports, I had it adjusted. It remains to be seen whether this will make any difference to tyre wear.
  9. Gambba

Gambba Active Member

[Jul 11, 2003]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Gambba said:
    It does depend on your driving style as well, if like me you are very spirited, then you will see the outer edges wear very rapidly, my tyres had only just been replaced before I went to RSD in the UK to have my chip fitted. So I'd only done about 300 miles, and he said he was pleased to see a driver that had brought his car in for a chip, and he based this on the fact that the outer edge was feathered and worn, but they still had the tabs on the side of the tyre!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Under inflation can cause the outer edge to wear, along with camber and toe, so I'd get it checked by somebody that knows what they are talking about. It also depends what you mean by worn as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry...me didn't read it completely correctly, I thought it was outer edges, not inner....my mistake!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
  10. tvr1

tvr1 Member

[Jul 15, 2003]
    guys,

my s3 had the same symptom so took it to audi and it was out, the adjusments were made and all is sweet now.

cost me a fortune to get done wasnt to happty about £167 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif but the car was a lot more "precise" in the steering afterwords. I was given a fall print out of before and after

The steering seemed fine before but now its very nice indeed, need to get some quality time behind the wheel

hope this helps

11. tim

tim New Member

[Jul 15, 2003]
    Spoke to Audi this morning. They said that they can make adjustments if they are needed but only by a very limited amount. (also depending on where the alignment is set at now)
    Said it would be around 1.5 - 2 hrs labour though, which im not to keen on, especially if they cant put it 100% correct.

I will also be fitting H&R -35mm springs soon.
    Cant decide whether or not to fit them before getting it aligned or after.
    My friends a3 did,nt need aligning after fitment of his springs and i am woried audi wont do it if the suspension is'nt factory.
  12. DavidR

DavidR Active Member

[Jul 17, 2003]
    Fit the springs first before the alignment. The decreased height will give you more negative camber at the front and more inner edge tyre wear. I wonder if Audi acheive camber adjustment on the A3 with VAG Tool 6003 (i.e. a bloody big hammer) because there aint no other way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif