Cambelt timing arghhh

Mrharris2

Boost needed
Reaction score
Ok so my car is an a3 1.8t agu. Ok so Saturday morning I decided to change my cambelt and water pump anyhow got it all off easy enough and had to pop out so got my brother came to watch the house when I got I got some bad news the little see you next Tuesday Decided to turn my cam wheel he can't remember how many times two three turns maybe because he thought it was ok asking as it matches up again to the markers, TW@T. So my question the top wheel and cam wheel are lined up. How do I check the order is correct there isn't a mark on the flywheel as I took the rubber bung out and turned it myself aswell once now seeing as it's already messed up. Calling all professionals any help I would be great full. Pleaseeee

there is a mark on the front pulley that aligns with a mark on the lower cover..

IMAG0049.jpg

You can also pull out the plug from cylinder 1 and use a long screwdriver or thin sticky thing you can get cyl 1 to TDC...

<tuffty/>

Cheers for the response tuffty I've got the top one aligned and bottom wheel aligned but not sure if it's 180 degrees revolution off if you know what I mean on the cam side of things. So piston has to be at tdc on cylinder 1 and marks the same for the cam to be in line... Sorry if that's worded wrong. Thanks Ben.

Ok tried that with a slightly problem turned the cam wheel so cylinder 1 piston was at the very top put all back together the. Turned the key for a second and heard a knock. Not good so taken all back off and it's ready to be timed again lol. What position is piston 1 cylinder supposed to be at nit the very top I'm guessing as I did that just to no avail.

cyl 1 at TDC so right at the top... check the timing marks on the crank pulley as per pic in previous post... cam pulley has a notch in it... this should line up with a notch in the cam cover... to be mega sure you can remove the cam cover and check the cam timing marks that are at the chain end... exhaust cam will be in alignment with the arrow head mark on the last cam cap when in correct position... inlet cam should be more or less in the right place too assuming you have not removed the cams at all... the inlet may look 'out' a bit when the exhaust cam is lined up but this is just due to compression of the tensioner...

<tuffty/>

Ok I'll do all that again now it was lined up but something must have been out as it made a nasty noise as if it hit the valve. Debating wether to just replace them anyhow now as they have never been done and it's on 112k. Job at hand first I'll take the cam off and check it all as you said thanks mate..

Ok the bottom wheel is lined up the piston is at TDC and the flywheel mark is at TDC. but... The top cam wheel is 180 degrees off to I take the belt off and turn the top cam half way so it's lines then put the belt back on. or do I get the top wheel lined up by keeping the belt on and turning the bottom wheel then take the belt off and turn the bottom wheel 2 revolutions so it's back to the right position with piston 1 at TDC again. Sorry for all the questions and messing about

Don't turn the cam independently with a piston at TDC, the valves will hit the piston!

Reactions: Mrharris2
Sounds like the cams are way out... ok... to prevent damage I would suggest you turn the bottom end round by at least 45 degrees to drop the pistons out the way then time the top up properly as I have previously described... belt needs to be off for this as you need to make sure the head is sorted prior to timing the bottom end...

The crank turns twice for every single turn of the cams... be careful turning the cams on the cam pulley bolt as it can shear

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Mrharris2
Ahh yeah that was my idea do the top then sort the bottom ok thanks for the advice again lol should be getting paid for this advice... And no jim I Wudnt heard to many horror stories of that thankfully I already know that one.

Mr @Tuffty head is timed and aligned all correct now double checked by taking the cam cover off. Now the bottom end is lined up correct mark on the bottom wheel lines with the timing wheel and the flywheel notch is lined up aswell as I checked. Now when fitting the cambelt back on, the flywheel and bottom cam wheel moves 1 tooth is that due to the tension and is it ok or do you have to take it back off and start again so it's all perfect... Second one I'm guessing but thought id check before going any further. Cheers for any response.

Make sure the bottom alignment marks are spot on... its the cams that rotate back a bit as they are under tension... its not unusal for people to get this a tooth out as the cam sprocket will rotate anti clockwise if not careful...

As long as the bottom end is spot on then you may find you have to turn the cam sprocket just a small amount clockwise (looking at it from the drivers side) to get the belt in the right place... you will know if you are a tooth out as you will get an incorrect correlation fault code...

Its a common mistake to make... have done it myself once or twice... I double check be fore pulling the pin on the tensioner

<tuffty/>

Ok I've sorted it I had my dad hold a screw driver in the cam sprocket and a spanner on the cam wheel and drive shaft so it couldn't move the belts on and the car runs lovely. Thanks for all your help I owe you one :icon thumright:

Reactions: <tuffty/>