1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cambelt overtension?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Aidy06, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Aidy06

Aidy06 Member
    VCDS Map User

Hi, I recently had the cambelt replaced on my A3 2.0T FSI. Since being done the engine seems to be a lot noisier than before it went in, could this have something to do with the cambelt? Maybe being overtensioned? Or could it be something else? Thanks

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. Sidhu88

Sidhu88 Active Member

I could be wrong but im fairly sure if it wasn't done correctly and the timing was off then it'd be noisier. Have u noticed any performance differences?

4. Aidy06

Aidy06 Member
    VCDS Map User

No difference in performance, just since getting it done it sounds a lot noisier. It could just be me though, think I'll get it checked out just to be sure. Could this cause damage if left to long?

5. Sidhu88

Sidhu88 Active Member

Well if the timings wrong u cud ultimately destroy ur engine if its bad enough. Doesnt seem so if u havent had any issues so far tho. Did u use an oem belt/kit?

6. mjr901

mjr901 Parts Manager - (Main Dealer)
    Gold Supporter Audi S3 Audi Main Dealer

Absolutely, I've not heard of it recently, but back when i had about 3 peugeot 306's of various engines, people were always overtensioning cambelts on them and this increased noise around the immediate area.

Cambelts are designed to be under a certain tension, anymore or any less will either cause slippage or excessive wear and premature failure.

#5 mjr901, Apr 14, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  7. Aidy06

Aidy06 Member
    VCDS Map User

Thanks I'll get it checked out, I've seen a few videos on YouTube of the 2.0T FSI engine being extremely loud. It seems similar to mine, the people that upload the videos say that's just how the engine sounds, is it known to sound loud?

8. mjr901

mjr901 Parts Manager - (Main Dealer)
    Gold Supporter Audi S3 Audi Main Dealer

Aye, these engines are known to sound almost 'tapperty'.

And its not infact the tappets. Its the injectors. And thats normal. The only way to get away from that is a nice loud exhaust! :)

9. Aidy06

Aidy06 Member
    VCDS Map User

Thats exactly how it sounds 'tapperty', seems I'm worrying about nothing then eh? Thanks for that, looks like I'll be looking into a new exhaust then :salute:

10. TDI140

TDI140 Well-Known Member

Check for unusual smoke coming out under acceleration and also when starting as if its a tooth out it can fudge up the cars tone performance pistons valves etc also keep eye on it as it will go into limp mode of its really bad but hopefully for your sake it just your mind playing tricks on you as we all know on here that we like to have our cars 100% perfect and any noise gets us worried