Cambelt on a 2.0TDi

Teejay

winning the school run grand prix
Reaction score
Ok, I've bought all the required parts to do the full regular service and cambelt change. Have a few days off work and thought I'd set about stripping the car down and doing this all in one go. It's a 2003 '53 plate' 2.0TDi 140, so is now outside warranty - so no worries there.

Having had a look through the workshop manual though, it looks like there are lots of special Audi/VAG tools required to complete this job. I've done cambelts before using a decent socket set and very little else, but not done an Audi, or a TDi.

Can anyone confirm if I do need any of the 'special tools', or does anyone have any tips - all engines have quirks that make certain jobs slightly different.

Many thanks,
Tim

Can't believe nobody here has done their own cambelt on an A3 2.0 TDi.

Mods can this thread be moved to the diesel or maintenance sections for a wider audience please?

I would very much like to know that sort of things but unfortunately I don't...

Anyone knows where to get the workshop manual for the S3?

Pedro

I think there's a good chance it'll need a load of 'special' tools!

I took my A3 2.0 TDi to a garage to get a wheel-bearing changed, and they said they had only recently got hold of the special tools they needed to do the job!

What mileage/age is the cambelt due btw? My A3 has always had servicing done at Audi, and next service is due at 93k (currently 81k) and so far the cambelt hasn't been changed??

Mine's done 118,000 - but this will be the second change!!

It was done by previous owner at 63,000

How much are you likely to save doing it yourself?
Compared with an independent, not a main dealer.
Just trying to work out if it's really worth the grief you are evidently suffering.

No grief, just wondered if anybody had any pointers before I started!

Did it all today in about 4.5 hours.

Long-life oil & Filter
Fuel Filter
Air Filter
Pollen Filter

Cambelt & Tensioner
Waterpump & G12+ coolant

Front brake pads

All in, including the special tools £280 (all genuine VAG parts)

Only thing that caused any issues was the b'stard oil filter which the previous spanner monkey did up way, way, way tighter than 25Nm.

Reckon I've saved myself £50 on the service, £50 on the brakes and £150 on the cambelt. Not bad for an afternoon's work.

Have I estimated the Independant prices correctly? £500 for all that seem about right?