Cambelt issue 2.0 Tdi 140

RGBARGEE

Reaction score
Hi, I posted this in the VW section but as Audi use the same 2.0Tdi engine as VW wondered if anyone had any thoughts? RG

Daughter and son in law have a 2014 model VW Passat with a VW Warranty.

Water pump packed up.

Dealer suggested although Water pump covered by warranty the cambelt had become 'contaminated by water leak and a whole new cambelt kit should be fitted not covered by warranty. Does this sound right? Car has done about 70,000 miles and Cambelt replacement not due until 5 years or 140,000 miles. One dealer says belt can be reused after seeing it but would advise £30 on a new belt, another insists on a full cam belt kit! Any thoughts? Thanks

I'd be talking to VW customer service as it's the failure of the warrantied part that has damaged other components so the warranty should cover those too?

I'd be talking to VW customer service as it's the failure of the warrantied part that has damaged other components so the warranty should cover those too?
That was my first port of call. VW Technical suggested trying to remedy the matter with the dealer first...so with my son in laws agreement I went to the dealer, suggesting that a face to face would be better than my son-in-law formally sending the letter I had drafted (extract follows).

On xxx August the coolant light came on. My father-in-law who is a VW/Audi enthusiast was with me and as I am not knowledgeable about car mechanics he advised me to get it checked out urgently as we were going on holiday shortly .

I took the car to your service centre and advised your staff that the car ( a 2014 model) was covered by a VW warranty and had only covered about 70,000 miles.

Later in the day I received a call from your service centre advising me that there was a faulty water pump that would be replaced under warranty, however consequential damage had been caused to the cambelt and that it was contaminated and it would be dangerous to refit. I was advised that a complete new cambelt kit should be fitted (parts £203.80) In view of the strong warning not to refit the belt and to replace the cambelt kit in the interests of my family safety I reluctantly agreed to the replacement.

On speaking to my father-in-law he suggested that I ask to keep the parts. On collection of my car I was given a Cam belt. (No sign of other parts)

My father-in-law who has a long term relationship with x Audi and y Volkswagen has discussed the matter with their Service Manager – Peter x.

Peter showed the belt to 3 technicians including a Master Technician who suggested.

1. There was no reason not to refit the belt which they consider to be in serviceable condition.

2. Y VW would have advised replacing the belt alone whilst the water pump was being replaced at a cost of £20/30. All other parts in the Cambelt kit would not require replacing at only half the advisory mileage of 140,000 miles

As you will no doubt be aware I am feeling rather cheated by the actions of your service team and would be grateful for your opinion and hopefully a resolution to my concerns.

Upon visiting the dealer on Tuesday morning I met with a fairly hostile reception and they have agreed to refund the cost of the cambelt kit (minus a cambelt).. I am however genuinely concerned that such differing opinion can be obtained from Audi/VW dealers and that when a part is faulty and covered by warranty other parts allegedly damaged as a result are not apparently.

I'm amazed. This is the sort of "wriggling" you see from back street garages and dodgy third party "warranty" insurance.

When I spoke to one of the service advisors at my local Audi dealers regarding Audi warranty, he did say the Audi cover extends to other parts that are affected by the failure of the primary part, so, extending that to VW, if the cam belt was damaged by the failure of the water pump, as the dealership themselves suggested, then really it should be covered ?

The only issue could be if there are specific exclusions listed in the small print of the warranty (which of course we all read thouroughly - NOT ) relating to age or mileage .............or direction of the wind ............or day of the week. Not really what you would expect from a manufacturer warranty TBH.

Reactions: RGBARGEE
When I spoke to one of the service advisors at my local Audi dealers regarding Audi warranty, he did say the Audi cover extends to other parts that are affected by the failure of the primary part, so, extending that to VW, if the cam belt was damaged by the failure of the water pump, as the dealership themselves suggested, then really it should be covered ?

The only issue could be if there are specific exclusions listed in the small print of the warranty (which of course we all read thouroughly - NOT ) relating to age or mileage .............or direction of the wind ............or day of the week. Not really what you would expect from a manufacturer warranty TBH.
Thanks ! That was exactly my thinking. If Cambelt was 'contaminated' as a result of the primary failure (water pump) that too should be replaced. Son in law was told it wasn't covered, he was told it could be dangerous and was therefore 'frightened' or 'bullied' into paying for a full cambelt kit. ( He is a 20 stone 6'2 Rugby player!) If anyone from VW/Audi customer service wants to investigate this please contact me... or Watchdog! I hate seeing people being ripped off!

Yup, they use fear to make you part with more cash.
I got a call while a car was in for service, they said the brake pads were 65% worn and should be changed. I said dont bother, there is 35% left! When it came back I checked the pads and they were half worn if that!

Reactions: RGBARGEE

I agree! The dealership my son in law took his car too have been OK previously and in 2011 won VW customer service awards. On this occasion I think they have behaved really badly. When I offered to try to discuss on behalf of my daughter and son in law they were appreciative... However having had a face to face with the Dealer principle I am left with a very bad taste given his attitude. VW Customer service appear reluctant to get involved.