Cambelt change advise

owenjt

Reaction score
I know there are various threads about when to change your cambelt but I'm still unsure of what to do so thought I'd post.

I have an Audi A3 2.0 TDI 2010 model with 50,000 miles on the clock. I recently phoned Audi re servicing and they advised me that my car would also need a cambelt change. My service book says change at 133,000 miles but they advised it's 5 years or 75, 000 miles.

Now I've just phoned Audi to check this and they're saying that it was 5 years or 75,000 miles but it changed last year to what is stated in the service book (something to do with new research and actually the different roads and climates here compared to Germany don't make a difference).

So what are people's thoughts on this? I think 133,000 miles sounds a lot and I'd probably get it changed way before then, but not sure if that should be now.

regardless of the interval given i always stick to 60k/4yrs.

i've had my cambelt changed twice. currently on 126k. one at 60 and the other at 121. car is 2009.

atleast you know its less likely to snap if you get it done!

Where is this information from?

VAG.

FYI:
  • 5 year intervals are for the newer common rail fuel systems
  • 4 year intervals were for the PD (unit injector) fuel systems - the shorter time is due to the belt getting a harder life on account of the pulse through the cams, and therefore belt, during the pumping stroke

Last edited:
Interesting. Thanks for the replies. So why is Audi now saying that you can go by the book and wait until 133,000 miles? Bit of a difference!

I had this same argument with a car dealer when I bought my wife's mk5 golf GT TDI. It was on 76k miles and hadn't had a cam belt. The seller was telling me that it was fine but id already spoken to VW and they'd told me 5 years or 75k and the car had gone past both. I ended up getting the seller to do the belt before I bought the car.

My own schedule is 60,000 miles or 5 years.. Don't believe anything longer than that

75,000 or 5 years also sounds plausible

60 k and 5 years for me too.

Reactions: Sayam
Even if it were 133,000 miles - it would be that mileage or 5 years whichever is sooner. As yours is 2010 it either needs doing or is overdue depending on when it was registered.

Ok now I understand! Think it was the fact it didn't mention 5 years in the service book and neither did Audi UK on the phone. Time to get it done then!

Also what do people think of the Audi offer of free MOT's for life when the cambelt is done? I can get the cambelt done for about £100 cheaper at an independent but obviously would save money in the long run by not paying for MOT's. Slightly worried Audi might then find things that don't really need repairing so they can recoup the cost!

I don't think Audi would "find" things that needed doing.
They are banking on you leaving it with them to do the repairs that they find legitimately.

I had an Audi free mot a few years back when they did them as part of a scheme. My 8L S3 failed its mot because the rear shocks were shot and they had priced up a pair with labour. I said no problem, give me the keys and ill bring it back in a few days for its free retest. Found a set of used shocks for £50 and fitted them one evening.

They just use the free mots as a way to get extra business as they expect you to use them for repairs if it fails one.

Please note, only certain points are liable for a free re-test if you take the car away. Of course individual garages can give a free re-test for points that aren't subject to a free re-test.

Also what do people think of the Audi offer of free MOT's for life when the cambelt is done? I can get the cambelt done for about £100 cheaper at an independent but obviously would save money in the long run by not paying for MOT's. Slightly worried Audi might then find things that don't really need repairing so they can recoup the cost!
Maybe depends on the garage. My A3 had it's first MOT done by Swindon Audi and they found nothing wrong.

I got it in writing from my local Audi dealer that the free MOT's for life includes the MOT protection that you get when paying £49.99. :grinning: It covers quite a bit of stuff as well. More details here
http://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/servicing-maintenance-mot/mot.html