1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cam tensioner rattle

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by LeeT, Jun 10, 2011.

1. LeeT

LeeT Member

Just picked up my B5 A4 1.8T and it seems to have a bit of a rattle which seems to come from the turbo area but after a bit of searching on here, it could well be the cam chain tensioner. Does anyone have any pics of the part in question and/or even a "how to" of how to replace it?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Bradderz_1988

Bradderz_1988 Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

It will more than likely be the wastegate penny valve get a bar and put it to the hot side of the turbo and rev it and let it off and If you here it clear as day that's your problem mines the same !!

4. Bradderz_1988

With the bar on the hot side listen down the bar the way you will hear it travel through it !!

5. LeeT

LeeT Member

I take it im using the bar as a sort of stethoscope? Waste gate penny valve? terminal for the turbo? Im not bothered as i bought this as a big bhp widebody project, just need to know where im at. Also what colour is the car you're considering breaking? avant or saloon?

6. Bradderz_1988

I'm not considering breaking a car that Would be B5NUT I sold the A4 I had to my brother, right in the stethoscope theory and the penny valve is on the flapper in the hot side housing of the turbo this closes to allow the exhaust gas to flow over the turbo to create boost and this wears and spins on the flapper when the wastegate opens and the exhaust gas flows over the valve creating the rattle noise when on throttle the n75 closes this valve against the housing so the rattle only occurs when off the revs.

7. LeeT

LeeT Member

well, this rattle occurs on light throttle too i think (maybe more investigation is needed) Initially i thought it was some sort of heatshield rattle from the CAT but i cant see anything amiss there from the brief look i have had so far

8. Bradderz_1988

Do the bar test as that will pin point it, as the noise will travel around the engine bay hence why you thought it was the cam tensioner as the noise travels around the bulkhead and sounds louder at the tensioner I thought the same but did the bar test just use a 3/8 or 1/2 inch extension bar and place it on the housing were the cat meets the turbo and the rev the car at the throttle the higher you put the revs the louder it will be when the throttle is released as there will be more exhaust gas flowing ove the penny valve if you search for thread 'B5 1.8T' iirc started by Rconn and scroll down he uploaded a pic asking if this is what rattles you may get a better idea if you look at the picture !!