cam chain rattle

Jama665

Reaction score
My cam chain rattles like buggery for a few seconds on cold startup. I'm guessing its either the tensioners getting slow or the chain is stretched. Oil pressures good. 160k on the clock with no paperwork to say its had a new chain or tensioner. Any thoughts on which. Or is it worth doing them both.

Ha ha no sorry thought I covered it all but left out the most important.

Its 1.8t wish it was a s4

1.8T has a timing belt.

The only B6 with a timing chain is the 4.2 V8.

I'd get the oil pick up looked at in the sump, sounds like a loss of oil pressure

1.8T has a timing belt.

The only B6 with a timing chain is the 4.2 V8.

Sure I read my b6 1.8t has a camshaft chain & tensioner?

Infact I am sure I hear it when i start her up?

(not disputing it has a timing belt but at the back of the engine lies a chain for the camshaft from what I have read)

No the 1.8t has both. Cam belt only drives one cam and a chain that links that cam to the other. Odd set up really not sure why they done it. Oil pressure is ok sorted that when the oil pick up got blocked.

I did a search after I heard mine for the first time sounded evil and not what i have experienced on a car start before but it seems to be deemed Ok if it rattles for a few seconds while the oil circulates, if it is noisy for longer then it needs replacing.

Mine only does it for couple of secs until oil has pumped around so its perfectly healthy for now!