1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cam belt

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by MarcS3, Jul 24, 2013.

1. MarcS3

MarcS3 New Member

[Jul 24, 2013]
    Hi do i need to replace cam belt damper when doing the belt, I brought a cam belt kit and got pulley etc and got told not to do damper
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 18, 2014]

3. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

[Jul 24, 2013]
    Yes, get a damper... and a water pump if you haven't got one with the kit...

VAG don't spec a damper as part of a cam belt change but I have seen these fail shortly after a cam belt change... never worth risking it when there is so much at stake...

Last one I got for mine came from GSF and is essentially a VAG one with the 4 rings machined off...

<tuffty/>
  4. sportquattro

sportquattro Active Member

[Jul 24, 2013]
    Definitely change the damper I had a very lucky escape last year when mine started to rattle, sounded like an exhaust heat shield was chattering, fortunately garage spotted real cause before it let go and trashed my engine. As Tufty says do the water pump at same time
  5. MarcS3

MarcS3 New Member

[Jul 24, 2013]
    Got water pump, what are your opinions between metal and plastic?
    just finished rebuilding the head and putting back together after belt failed so don't want to risk it
    Thank you
  6. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

[Jul 24, 2013]
    Personally would just buy an OE plastic ones... yes they used to fail but the new ones appear better and all metal impeller pumps I have seen leak through the shaft very quickly

<tuffty/>