1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cam Belt Tensioner

NineNails Aug 28, 2012

1. NineNails

NineNails Proud sponsor of the snack food industry

Evening all
    I've just got my cam belt kit which I'm hoping to do at the weekend BUT when I opened the box the pin has been pulled from the tensioner and the rod has extended. I've tried pushing the rod back in by hand but it won't budge. Can I use a vice to push it back in so I can get the pin back in? or can I install it without bothering?
    I've got the Audi World Tech article from here
    http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/Audi/B5/AudiWorld.com_Audi_A4_1.8T_Timing_Belt_Replacement_DIY.pdf in case I get stuck. Is there anything else or hints and tips I could do with knowing or any important torque settings?
    Thanks for any help
    Si.

2. HibiscusS4

HibiscusS4 Member

Yes push it back in with a vice and refit the pin. It goes very slowly so take your time.

3. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

Yeh vice will work, just take it VERY slow, quarter turn at a time and wait for the pressure to drop before turning again.

Contitech CT919K4?

4. olds_kool

olds_kool Active Member VCDS Map User

ha ha yep a vice works, i pulled pin out of curiosity once, didnt realise how hard it would be to push back

5. NineNails

Cheers lads, I'll do it tomorrow and report back
    No not in the end Kev. Turned out my Mrs's brother is a belting bloke and he "found" me all genuine parts from, er, somewhere I best not mention on here and all it cost me was a bit of time fixing his washing machine.
    I have parts...
    058 198 119 (repair kit) which contains... 058 109 119C (belt) 058 109 479B (tensioner) 058 109 243F (tensioner pulley) There is also a small roller and bolt but don't know the number on that.
    All in all a right bloody result I reckon

6. NineNails

Hehe! and no I didn't pull the pin, it was like that when I opened it, honest! no, it really was officer

7. NineNails

Pushed back in nice and slow. Hope it's ok anyway. Thanks for the help lads