1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cam belt change

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by Mustafa4hmed, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Mustafa4hmed

Mustafa4hmed Member

[Nov 8, 2004]
    Hi,

I bought my audi a4 1.8se (1995 N) a little while back, its done 85000. I don't think it has had its cam belt changed so I see that as a priority. Audi are telling me I need to buy a modified cambelt, along with the modified tensioners and damper. This comes to about £180 just for the parts. Does anyone know what they mean by modified cam belt and tensioners? My local mechanic usually charges about £60 labour for a cam belt change and he said not to worry about the tensioners, he will tell me if i need them.

Anybody have any ideas on what i should do? I dont want to go to audi as they charge near £500 for the cambelt change.

Muzz
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 20, 2014]

3. Danielson

Danielson Member

[Nov 8, 2004]
    hi mate audi charged me 180 quid to supply and fit cambelt, i presume it was tensioner as well, on my a4
  4. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Nov 8, 2004]
    You definately need the tensioners and get the water pump changed as well, it's only £35, they tend to start to seize around 100k miles and if that goes you are either looking at an engine rebuild or the same amount of labour again just for the pump.
  5. imported_dumpvalve

imported_dumpvalve Guest

[Nov 8, 2004]
    [ QUOTE ]
    AndyMac said:
    You definately need the tensioners and get the water pump changed as well, it's only £35, they tend to start to seize around 100k miles and if that goes you are either looking at an engine rebuild or the same amount of labour again just for the pump.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'm staying well out of it this time! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
  6. AndyMac

[Nov 8, 2004]
    Sorry, just to clarify, if your engine runs the water pump off the cam belt (like most Audi models)
  7. Mustafa4hmed

Mustafa4hmed Member

[Nov 8, 2004]
    thnx for that. audi just said i need the cambelt, tensioner and damper changed. oh and the drivebelt. They didnt mention anything about the water pump. To my mate however, they said they will only change the cambelt and water pump together, neither alone.

I may just get the water pump also since the mechanic is gonna open all up for the cambelt. Guys audi servicing costs a bomb. More than BMW, its cheaper servicing my 728i.
  8. AndyMac

[Nov 8, 2004]
    Audi don't recommend changing the water pump, they're idiots
  9. K212

K212 Member

[Nov 9, 2004]
    My manual and the stealership says change timing belt at 80K miles, but every owner has told me that I should change the belts, tensioner and water pump at 60K...

I took A4 owners' advice of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif