1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cam belt change?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by W8 Performance, Jan 24, 2005.

1. W8 Performance

W8 Performance Member

[Jan 24, 2005]
    Hi all, glad we are back working again. Roughly how much is a cambelt change going to cost on my 1.8T Quattro? It has done 59000, shall I do it soon?
    If it is too much can I do it with a Woolworths tool kit and a cordless drill? (kidding)

Rob
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 27, 2014]

3. imported_velcrobix

imported_velcrobix Guest

[Jan 24, 2005]
    Got mine done at a local garage for about £150 (think it was around that much, it was 6 months ago).
  4. imported_izzydog

imported_izzydog Guest

[Feb 9, 2005]
    I changed my own cambelt not two bad of a job A3 1.8T Quattro If you no what your doing.
  5. W8 Performance

W8 Performance Member

[Feb 10, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Rob,
    RSD in Daventry will do it for £250+vat. This includes changing the waterpump .etc at the same time.

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers Rich,

I am taking it to QS Tuning for a 60k service and will have a chat with them about the cam belt etc at the same time.

I want to get it Dyno'd to see if it is running right, but they said it would be $90 +vat. Is this about right?

Rob
  6. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

[Feb 10, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Rob,
    RSD in Daventry will do it for £250+vat. This includes changing the waterpump .etc at the same time.

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers Rich,

I am taking it to QS Tuning for a 60k service and will have a chat with them about the cam belt etc at the same time.

I want to get it Dyno'd to see if it is running right, but they said it would be $90 +vat. Is this about right?

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep sounds about right.
  7. W8 Performance

W8 Performance Member

[Feb 10, 2005]
    Cheers mate.

I am currently running a book, keeping track of all the cash the wife is spending and putting it down as cash for the car.
    In a few more weeks I should have the remap in the bag.

Still waiting for a reply from AMD (hint hint) about costs for a few bits and bobs I emialed them about....
  8. FatLad

FatLad Member

[Feb 10, 2005]
    I was told at my last service that the cam belt only need be changed at 180,000 KM which seemed very high to me ??, although I could request it be done earlier if I wanted.
  9. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

[Feb 10, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I was told at my last service that the cam belt only need be changed at 180,000 KM which seemed very high to me ??, although I could request it be done earlier if I wanted.

[/ QUOTE ]

id get it done at 80k if i were you. Mines being done next week at 66k

Rich
  10. W8 Performance

W8 Performance Member

[Feb 10, 2005]
    Fingers crossed it can be sorted easily mate.
    I have emailed them and AMD to get some 60K servicing prices. Just have to find out how much a diverter valve is at QST and will book the old girl in!
  11. neversaydie

neversaydie Post Whore

[Feb 10, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Still waiting for a reply from AMD (hint hint) about costs for a few bits and bobs I emialed them about....

[/ QUOTE ]

You will need to phone them Rob, they are always busy, like I said speak to Scott.
  12. W8 Performance

W8 Performance Member

[Feb 10, 2005]
    Got a reply from Ed. Will find out how much a diverter valve is at QST. Might be nice to have a drive up to AMD, although QST is well recommened??? Decision time.
  13. neversaydie

neversaydie Post Whore

[Feb 10, 2005]
    If you go to AMD Ill go up with ya m8! Let me know!
  14. bigmoose

bigmoose Member

[Feb 10, 2005]
    QST is closer and quite a good drive round the back roads if you come into T/Wells en route.
  15. hopper

hopper Member

[Feb 10, 2005]
    did my belt a couple of weeks ago, put the tensioner, idler, belt and waterpump on cost me about £100. any car i buy i always do the belt whether its been done or not but mine was on 77000 so it was due anyway. id only had the car a week and was a good job i hadnt give it to much gas as when i come to do it the belt was slack and the waterpump was just starting to leak
  16. jesters3

jesters3 Active Member VCDS Map User

[Feb 11, 2005]
    The audi garage said that it didn't have to be changed until 100k miles and then it would cost @ £400.00. Cars done 83K but I will put it in soon to get the work done.

Hopper did you do all the work yourself to get it that cheap?

TIA
  17. hopper

hopper Member

[Feb 11, 2005]
    yeah i did do the belt myself, the parts were trade prices aswell from audi. but if i had of got the parts from volkswagon they would have been cheaper still
  18. hopper

hopper Member

[Feb 11, 2005]
    you can get parts cheaper but remember the timing belt is important so spend wisely. the genuine belts are made by gates (the only difference been the belt from audi has the audi logo on it) and can be brought from most motor factors so that may save you a few quid. i personally wouldnt fit any other make, it has to be standard equipment or uprated for my likeing but as with anything its down to personal choice