calliper paint

T

tinka

mine ar looking somewhat ransid at the moment,those of you that have painted your callipers,what did you use?,

ie spray or paint,the proper calliper stuff or smootherite,whats different about the calliper paint compared to say smootherite etc,im not going for anything lairy,just silver i think?,
i might have ago this weekend,thanks chaps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

I just used hamerite from b&q!

Went on a treat, and is really easy to clean!

save your penny and buy hamerite - I had it on the last car for 18months with no sign of wear or tear. Just paint it on to cold calipers

just what i wanted to hear,ill get the hamerite,smootherite one in silver then,

thanks guys.

nope - I bought a wire brush attachment for the drill and gave them a once over with that. They just need to be clean and rust free

I just gave mine a propper good cleaning with alloy wheel cleaner but just make sure they are dry before you start painting.

make sure your alloy wheel cleaner isn't acidic (sp?) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Check out these, I no they aren't very clear as I painted um black but I'm sure if you zoom in you'll get the idea.

Pic1

Pic2

Next time I take my wheels off to clean um I'll take some pics of what I painted.

just come back from halfords,with some silver ,hamerite smooth,spray,ill start this weekend,i must sort out photobucket too,thanks for the pics to wilko.

well,ive just finished one side,(i was bored today)and your right wilko,it was a right git to do,but i thought the spray would give a better finish,it turned out ok though,

just could'nt do the rear calliper carrier,because i did'nt have a torx bit big enough,if i ever work out how to post up pics, then ill get them on here, have a photobucket account,so its a start?.

Won't hammerite burn off when they get hot?

[ QUOTE ]
Won't hammerite burn off when they get hot?

[/ QUOTE ]

nope - how hot do you think a caliper gets?

[image]
181.jpg
[/image]

i hate pc,s,i dont know if this has worked,im just playing at the moment.

i dont believe it,its only worked, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

Looks good too, I was thinking Red for my Black a3 with the red sline badges or will I look like a chav unt..

looks pretty good from here!

I did mine black but I thinking of either Red or Silver (as above). I only gave um 1 coat of black as well, probably need another coat so it might as well be a different colour.

df3y - you wouldn't want to touch the calipers on my R32 after a good thrash /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Thinking of red for my brilliant black remmaped 20.tdi d3fy.

Anyone got any pics of red on black for both of use to peruse?

Also anyone got a guide on what needs to be done to get full access to the calipers without taking them off. ie I think I could handle a few screws to get the shield thingie off if thats all that was needed but dis-assembling and removing the caliper is beyond my limited capabilites!

i took the calliper off,and masked the piston,brake hose etc,not actualy off the car though, if you see my point,

also took the calliper carrier off,4 bolts altogether,including the calliper,so its straight forward enough?.

only a haynes manual,but there's not one for the 8p,so the manual for the old type(if there is one available yet)will be just as good,

i would imagine the process of removing the callipers are fairly similar,on both models,

Did mine black with the Audi circles, available from the TT shop and it looks great....