Calling all Aussies or Brits in Oz for help/Advice

Sarah's A3

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid
Reaction score
If there are any of you reading this, im after imfo on the child car seats/restraints used over in Oz please. Do the cars tend to have the same Iso Fix points as cars over here and what additional fixing points are there?? Ive read about a Top Teather/Strap that is additionally used! Is this something on the restraints or fitted to the car. Also do the car seats use Iso Fix?? If a top teather is needed how is it fitted? Welded to the seat back etc

This is for children aged 4+ forward facing in both an A3 and an A6 Avant.

Any help/Advice is really appreciated.

Also what are the Aussie Tyres?? Apparently they are more heat proof? Is this right? And if so how much do they differ from UK tyres?

thanks for any help!

Can't be much help as I don't have kids but I do know that child seats here don't use Isofix, they use another system which I'm told is not as good. But because of our stupid ADRs isofix is not approved for use.
I've heard that some parents actually import isofix child seats themselves as they are better and I think all European cars have the isofix points.

As for tyres I'm pretty sure they are the same as other countries.

Where are you moving too?

As nugs said, we have an ADR (Australian Design Rule) top tether strap child restrain anchor point.
It is a legal requirement that all cars sold in Australia have these and all child seats must have this.
The restrain is a bracket that is fitted by the manufacturer to the car.
The child seat has a tether strap that connects to this anchorage point.
You then route the seat belt around the bottom of hte seat.

Although this is the technical legal requirement, most Euro cars have an ISOFIX and if you were to ship over a Euro child restrain seat, you could plug straight into the ISOFIX.

Depends on your situation. Are you importing your car, buying a car over here, etc?

As nugs said, we have an ADR (Australian Design Rule) top tether strap child restrain anchor point.
It is a legal requirement that all cars sold in Australia have these and all child seats must have this.
The restrain is a bracket that is fitted by the manufacturer to the car.
The child seat has a tether strap that connects to this anchorage point.
You then route the seat belt around the bottom of hte seat.

Although this is the technical legal requirement, most Euro cars have an ISOFIX and if you were to ship over a Euro child restrain seat, you could plug straight into the ISOFIX.

Depends on your situation. Are you importing your car, buying a car over here, etc?

Thank for the reply.

I am hoping to ship my A3 as it will be far cheaper than getting similar over there. I read on the web that the car will go through a number of checks at the port before I would be able to register it with plates etc. It mentioned I may well need to spend $400 to get this Tether anchor fitted but it didnt really explain what it is etc. I am tempted to leave my car seat in and see what happens, at worst I would just bin it over there once landed.

Can't be much help as I don't have kids but I do know that child seats here don't use Isofix, they use another system which I'm told is not as good. But because of our stupid ADRs isofix is not approved for use.
I've heard that some parents actually import isofix child seats themselves as they are better and I think all European cars have the isofix points.

As for tyres I'm pretty sure they are the same as other countries.

Where are you moving too?

Thanks for the reply.

Early days yet and nothings definate but it would be Perth WA

leaving us are you sarah sad times but ozz is awesome my mate is moving to sidney next year i think and im hopefully not fair behind him as next year i become what is know as an expert in my field so happy days if i still have my car i was thinking of doing the same too importing my baby

Hi Fran, yeah maybe but its early days. Just doing the ground work at the mo but I just cant part with the car and fuel is alot cheaper over there so happy days!

Well your mates a lucky lad, Sidney looks a lovely place to live and skills like you have are highly in demand! Do it! Take the car and do it! We could start a sister forum lol linked to ASN!!! But I will stay on here just further away but love the place so much so you cant get rid of me that easily! lol

Anyway from what I saw of your car at AITP you are an expert now, your car looked stunning!

lol yeah we could do has to have a good name tho similar to asn , thanks sarah i do try lol this year she will be looking even better too the end of this month im getting my coilovers and very soon getting some 19's then of course my facelift front end its all go go go lol , yeah all that you have done to your baby i done blame you same as me mind you once ive done all that i dont think i could leave her behind

Hey Sarah,
Yeah it's an easy process.
The only changes you would need to make for registration would be the fitment of a child restraint anchorage (CRA) point.
WIth your seat in or out, you won't get registration without it.

FYI, the CRA on an 8P is fitted to the rear of of the seat back.
I can take a photo of mine if you would like?

Actually, Australian vehicle certification is what I do for a living.
Mainly only deal with new vehicles (Audi is one of my clients) but I can offer advice that you may need on getting your car in.

We have our own little Audi forum here in OZ.
ozaudi.com

Not as big as Audi-sport or Audizine, etc but we do ok and is a fantastic pool of local Audi knowledge.

You guys would love it over here. Both Perth and Sydney are fantatic places.
Nothing on Melbourne though... ;)

Hey Sarah,
Yeah it's an easy process.
The only changes you would need to make for registration would be the fitment of a child restraint anchorage (CRA) point.
WIth your seat in or out, you won't get registration without it.

FYI, the CRA on an 8P is fitted to the rear of of the seat back.
I can take a photo of mine if you would like?

Actually, Australian vehicle certification is what I do for a living.
Mainly only deal with new vehicles (Audi is one of my clients) but I can offer advice that you may need on getting your car in.

We have our own little Audi forum here in OZ.
ozaudi.com

Not as big as Audi-sport or Audizine, etc but we do ok and is a fantastic pool of local Audi knowledge.

You guys would love it over here. Both Perth and Sydney are fantatic places.
Nothing on Melbourne though... ;)

Thank you for the reply! Your help is gratefully appreciated!

I've sent you a PM.

I will definately visit those forums, just hope they accept women!!

Forgot to ask, will it be ok that the bumpers are different from standard or is this a no no???

Last edited:
Of course they accept women.
I think it would be a welcomed change.

The bumpers are not a problem at all.
Just needs to be above 100mm (ground clearance).

Not sure what mods you have on your car but spacers and pod filters are illegal (don't ask me why) and you won't get registration with them.
You may need to change a few of the aftermarket parts to stock for registration and then change them back after but depends on what state you are moving too and what modifications you have made.

Of course they accept women.
I think it would be a welcomed change.

The bumpers are not a problem at all.
Just needs to be above 100mm (ground clearance).

Not sure what mods you have on your car but spacers and pod filters are illegal (don't ask me why) and you won't get registration with them.
You may need to change a few of the aftermarket parts to stock for registration and then change them back after but depends on what state you are moving too and what modifications you have made.

No not got spacers or filters so should be ok. Clearance is good and apart from tints that I will check % on, all is pretty standard. What has been changed as mentioned, ie bumpers, are all Audi OEM parts. The rest is all factory fit.

Want to say a huge thanks to Mike Foster for helping with part numbers for everything we need for the 2 cars!

The pic from Poli84 will help with fitment. Cheers guys really appreciated