1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling all 3.0 TDI owners

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)' started by Mr-C, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Mr-C

Mr-C Member

How much soot does yours kick out when you give it the beans? I was following Mrs C last night and we had a race from the lights me in the ****ter 406 that she uses to go to the farm, usually full of carrots and hay bales! and Mrs C in the Audi. Needless to say she won but farkin hell the 3.0 chucked some soot out, I knew it did as in the past I have left a few people in a cloud of black smoke.
    Its a 2007 100+k miles None DPF model.
  2. jjmurphy21187

jjmurphy21187 Tiptronic

Mine leaves relatively little smoke now, remapped (DPF & EGR) and the 2nd CAT & DPF removed with no backboxes. What I would best describe as a haze/dust is left when you accelerate hard from a standing start.

Presumably if you don't accelerate hard very often all the soot etc that gets caught in the exhaust during normal driving (more in OEM smaller diameter with non-mandrel bends that an aftermarket one) will get thrown out in a cloud of soot.

Solution = Floor it more often :o.k:
    gupsterg likes this.
  3. scotty76

scotty76 Active Member

I've found our VW 2.0TDi smokes worst on supermarket fuel. Fill it with V Power or similar and it's better.
  4. .Jas.

.Jas. Member

I floored mine the other day and smoked out everyone behind me, probably leaving a trail of carnage in my wake. I have a 2007 100+k miler non-DPF too. My mechanic has given my engine a going over and reported a clean bill of health so I'm not worrying about it too much. Maybe jjmurphy is right and we need to boot them a bit more! I barely floor mine these days.
  5. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Had mine (2007 non-DPF) put on a rolling road a few months back for a power test, and it did chuck out quite a lot of black smoke when it was maxxed.
  6. A4_MaJiK

A4_MaJiK Member

As Joe said above, mine only leaves a bit of haze/dust behind me. Normally only ever see it at night time in my rear view when the car behind has its headlights on. Although I am on standard map and running on V-Power and also get a motorway run on my daily commute.

Azeem
  7. Emmo

Emmo Member

On mine I only get a slight haze on heavy acceleration no plumes black of smoke.
  8. V6 Quatt

V6 Quatt Member

Mine puffs slight haze when booted. You need to drive it hard at times mine is non dpf
  9. ollie86rn

ollie86rn Member

Never really noticed much soot being kicked out, think the tinted windows will mask some of it
  10. Andy27168

Andy27168 Member

3.0 TDI A4 Cab, 2007 model, with DPF, (82k miles) no noticeable exhaust smoke, running a remap, and the car gets a 60 mile motorway run every day, though it doesn't really get thrashed I do keep up with the motorway traffic.
  11. SL11CKK

SL11CKK Member

No noticeable smoke would be because you have DPF installed. Thats what it does
    gupsterg and Andy27168 like this.
  12. ben.w93

ben.w93 Member

mine is a 2007 non dpf mapped with 93,000, it smokes a bit when driven hard, no smoke, no poke haha.
    V6 Quatt and A4_MaJiK like this.