1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caller ID device?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema, Hi-Fi and Gadgets' started by jojo, May 3, 2006.

1. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator

[May 3, 2006]
    Hi guys, I'm after a device that runs of the telephone socket and brings up adresses from prestored telephoned numbers. The only thing I can see in the market with this function is the Amstrad Emailer, but it also has an email check function which can't be de activated, which costs approx 17p per day(pennies I know), anyone had any experience with this product or any other alternatives out there?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 28, 2014]

3. OutLore

OutLore VOIP Dude

[May 3, 2006]
    Hi JoJo,

Is this for home or work? If it's for work, and you have a TAPI compatiple phone system I can help you out with a PC application that will tell you who is calling, hook into a database and pop the right record if required. If the number is not recognised (IE isn't in the DB) then it will create a new record for it so it will pop next time the number calls.....
  4. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator

[May 3, 2006]
    Thanks Outlore, it's indeed for work, but there is no computer here, I bring my own lappy to use, robbing my neighbour's(with their consent) bandwidth lol. I also have been offered the PC application you suggested, so looking for the most cost effective solution, may just invest in a cheap PC, so open to any other suggestions.
  5. OutLore

OutLore VOIP Dude

[May 4, 2006]
    Well if you get a PC, let me know cos we own the software we wrote so I could get you a blinding deal, lol

Seriously tho - it starts at £50, so it's cheap as chips.....
  6. The Slug

The Slug Active Member VCDS Map User

[May 4, 2006]
  7. Caesium

Caesium My BM is fixed!

[Aug 7, 2006]
    I do this sort of thing for a living and its not as easy as all that...

Generally speaking, CTI integration does not "hook into the phone socket" it will either connect via USB off the phone (first party CTI) and only works for that user. Or the computer connects to the phone system proper (normally via ethernet) and then any pc on the network can have CTI (this is third party CTI).
    Most modern PABX offer this for free, I know the ones we sell do. They will integrate with any database given a bit of macro programming but they will work straight out of the box with Outlook, Act, Goldmine, Maximiser.

There is no real cheap way of doing this effectively, even less so if you have a digital or IP phone on your desk, as the CLI will not be able to be stripped off by a third party device. If you have a POTS phone (like the one at home, or the amstrad emailer) then the CLI stripping might be possible.

If you want this to work effectively and reliably I suggest you talk to your PABX maintainer or call in a professional, then you can be guaranteed of sucess