1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calipers - why are some to the front & others to the back of the disc?

Discussion in 'Handling' started by IanL-S3, Apr 21, 2005.

1. IanL-S3

IanL-S3 Member

[Apr 21, 2005]
    I know i promised not to ask silly questions..but....here we go again.

I for some reason thought that the calipers were always positioned to the front of the car on the front discs ,however today i noticed a jag xk8 with the calipers towards the back of the car on the front discs.

Is there any techy geeky reason for this? or does it not really matter and i should go and find something more interesting to concern myself with.

Cheers
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 28, 2014]

3. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

[Apr 22, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]

I for some reason thought that the calipers were always positioned to the front of the car on the front discs ,however today i noticed a jag xk8 with the calipers towards the back of the car on the front discs.

Is there any techy geeky reason for this? or does it not really matter and i should go and find something more interesting to concern myself with.

Cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

It really makes no difference... If you think about it the discs is moving the same direction no matter where the calliper is and the force will be the same no matter where it is also. The A4/S4/RS4/A6/S6/RS6 has the callipers on the rear also
  4. Japper

Japper Ibis S3 Fan Club

[Apr 23, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

Cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

It really makes no difference... If you think about it the discs is moving the same direction no matter where the calliper is and the force will be the same no matter where it is also. The A4/S4/RS4/A6/S6/RS6 has the callipers on the rear also

[/ QUOTE ]

It would shift a little more weight rearwards though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
  5. The Slug

The Slug Active Member VCDS Map User

[Jun 9, 2005]
    Wouldn't be to do with any cooling effect then?????
  6. OutLore

OutLore VOIP Dude

[Jun 15, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Wouldn't be to do with any cooling effect then?????

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest i think it just down to the suspension setup and where the brakes wont be in the way!

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely then they would always be at the bottom?

HAve done with it - leading and trailing calipers front and rear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif
  7. Charlies604

Charlies604 Member

[Nov 16, 2005]
    Surely you want the caliper to compress into the arm not pull off of it??
  8. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

[Nov 16, 2005]
    It makes bugger all difference where it is... Rotational force is the same all the way round the disc.. It will pull and push with equal force.

Rich
  9. imported_fingermouse

imported_fingermouse Guest

[Nov 17, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    It makes bugger all difference where it is... Rotational force is the same all the way round the disc.. It will pull and push with equal force.

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly the main diff would be the force transfered to the suspension or the twisting (sear ) force
  10. imported_kris_tdi

imported_kris_tdi Guest

[Nov 17, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

Cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It would shift a little more weight rearwards though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]