1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caliper winding tool

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by The Doctor, Mar 15, 2010.

1. The Doctor

The Doctor Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I am replacing my discs & pads (front & rear) in a couple of weeks' time & need a caliper winding tool for the rears. Is there a particular one that I need for the job? Dont want to get it all apart & find I have the wrong one!

Cheers.
  2. FactionOne

FactionOne Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Can't say for certain whether it'd do the trick for an S3 or not (don't see why not), but I've used this on two 8L 1.6s, and a B5 TDI...

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_214227_langId_-1_categoryId_165469

If you go with that one make sure it's the right one though - they do two, and one's for left hand thread. The right one does mention VW/Audi on the packaging/destructions somewhere...

Regards,

Rob.
  3. mattyboy199

mattyboy199 Active Member

used that exact one only weeks ago on my S3 it works fine
  4. Lemon S3

Lemon S3 Alex

I just use a g clamp and some mole grips, works fine.
  5. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

Up until the S3 I have used g-clamp for the fronts and long nose mole grips to wind in the rears but used a wind in tool after spending nearly 20mins getting no where trying to wind the piston in with the mole grips...

Took about 30secs to do with the tool...

<tuffty/>
  6. Speedy Steve

Speedy Steve Active Member

The Halfords one i got had 2 sides to it and saved my life after trying for 3 hrs to do it with out. For the money its a tool to have even if you only do your brakes once
  7. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

Just invest in the Halfords one, it's universal for all types of cars, so you can garantee it's not a use once only tool when you have one.
  8. A3Tom

A3Tom Smell my finger.

Another vote for the Halfords one there. Couldnthave done the rears on my other halfs TT without it!.

Doing the rears on the A3 in a couple of weeks so glad I've got the tool...doing it without results in lots of swearing.
  9. jonny87

jonny87 Active Member

omg, guys are we actually saying that something from halfords works/is worth spending money on?

could this be an asn first?

possibly even a world first?

:faint:
  10. A3Tom

A3Tom Smell my finger.

Yep!

Although to be fair the Halfords Pro range of tools is good (re-wind tool isnt pro range). All my stuffs lasted with years of abuse!.
  11. The Doctor

Thanks guys, really good info. I am replacing my discs & pads with EBCs. The info that came with the new EBC discs recommends to measure disc run-out after fitting. Given the quality of these discs I'm not sure I should need to check disc run-out after installation, particularly if I ensure that the hub/disc interface is clean? Any advice?
  12. A3Tom

A3Tom Smell my finger.

Stick them on and if they look good enough by eye then that'll do IMO. Just make sure all mating surfaces when fitting are free from crud and nice and clean. Wire brushing should do the trick once the old discs are off the car.
  13. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

I have trades discount at Halfords, and most of their tools have life time warranty, what is there not to like?
  14. The Doctor

Well, that's the plan. So long as the hub/disc facings are free of corrosion etc then all should be good in theory...