1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caliper Carriers????????

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by S3_MCD, Aug 9, 2006.

1. S3_MCD

S3_MCD Member

[Aug 9, 2006]
    Maybe a daft question, but.....

looking to upgrade to a set of brembo's, I have found a set SH which have come from a Seat Cuprs (not R), origonally put on to upgrate to R spec bakes but have subsiquently been removed and are being sold separately.

When put onto the Cupra they bolted on directly.

... so what are caliper carriers and why do i need them??

Cheers
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. dummi

dummi smoking a6

[Aug 9, 2006]
    OEM brakes have sliding calliper, one side has pistons when they press the disc the calliper moves in the opposite direction ON the calliper carrier that is bolted to the hub so both sides of calliper press the disc in this kind of antagonistic way.. Brembo generally have pistons on both sides so don't need to slide the pistons do the moving, they are monoblock callipers.

both these types will stop a car, Brembo IMO improve feel of braking not necessarily stopping power. think over what you want from the brakes. a larger oem set is a cheap mod, brembo is usually much more expensive.

now what i think you are needing is more hub adapters for the brembos or machining of those callipers, rather than calliper carriers as such.
  4. AndyM

AndyM Member

[Aug 9, 2006]
    I thought that the standard setup as bolted to the Leon R would bolt straight onto the S3, callipers, brackets, disks, hoses etc, as long as you have all the parts you dont have any problem.

If they are selling the callipers without the brackets be warned im fairly sure that they are expensive on their own from seat dealers
  5. S3_MCD

S3_MCD Member

[Aug 9, 2006]
    cheers both ....
    carriers are defo expensive - £135 per side!! (bearing in mind the brembos were only gonna cost me £250). looks like i will try to find the whole lot, brakers or such....