CAI on 2.0 TDI

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I plan to install a cold air intake system on my 2.0 TDi bkd engine, as far as i've studied the market i came up with a solution from BMC - CDA CDASP-09. In the near future i plan to install a new software on the car in order to work properly with my turbo dynamics hybrid turbo.
My question is what should i expect after i do this adjusment to my car, i was thinking that i could gain a couple of more bhp and who knows maybe the horrific diesel sound will change a little bit.

Best regards,
ANdi

Unless you move the battery into the battery box in the boot or fit a slimline battery you will find it a very tight fit. If your doing a hybrid i would fit a good CAI like a BMC as it can only help. The air intake snorkle is much wider then the OEM one and if fitted properly you should be able to get the CAI to be fitted facing directly forwards towards where the air inlet vent is under the bonnet so as to have zero air restriction helping throttle responce.
Picture1071.jpg

Picture1074.jpg

Thanks mate, the layout of the new CAI would be like this:
02I-AUDI_A3_2000_TDI.jpg

Also i have one more question, what do you think that the hp gain would be after this mod and also how dramatically the sound will change after.

Thank you,
ANdi

LE:

I almost forgot, a lot of people told me that a different cai than the original for diesel can produce early MAF fauts and eventually will lead to a defect maf.

Last edited:
why is the sound so important, it doesnt make the car go any faster, surely performance is your ultimate goal, not a loud saxo as such, loud cars always attract the usually unwanted attention namely cops, thieves & just plain idiots who are jealous of your car & think it needs a nice scratch done side.

As for CAI, I am contemplating an incarnation of the carbonio, we'll see.

I don't want the sound to be much louder i just want if possbile to diminuate the diesel sound and transform it more like a jet sound.

I see FR-r tuning recomend the CDA for 1600cc and smaller engines on a 2000 cc engine. I bet this is for fitment issues. It`s up to you but i would have the biggest least restrictive filter possible ( ie the right sized one ! ) and put the battery in the boot which isn`t a big job plus there is already a battery box in the boot anyway.

Thanks mate, the layout of the new CAI would be like this:
02I-AUDI_A3_2000_TDI.jpg

Also i have one more question, what do you think that the hp gain would be after this mod and also how dramatically the sound will change after.

Thank you,
ANdi

LE:

I almost forgot, a lot of people told me that a different cai than the original for diesel can produce early MAF fauts and eventually will lead to a defect maf.

Plus mate the gains you get you wont notice save the money

there is already a battery box in the boot anyway.

Is a battery box in the boot standard in all a3s? I havent seen this, atleast I dont think I have, where would I find it? I spent ages wiring my sub and amp from the battery in front !!

I don`t know about other models etc but on my Audi if you look in the boot from behind on the right hand side nearest to you under the flooring there is a lid screwed down with a small recess in one corner to let the wires out. Another way to find it is just poke your head under the car and you will see the plastic battery tray under the car. I have no idea why Audi designed one on my car and was very surprised to find it.

got my CDA fitted today from FR&RTuning on my 2.0tdi. First of all I must say, it DOES may a big difference from the pipercross panel filter I had. In terms of performance the car pulls better before the turbo kicks in and goes slightly longer at top end. It usually felt dead at 5200rpm now last slightly longer to 5500rpm, so thats good! The car also breathes much better and is able to withstand low revs in higher gears. For example It used to stuggle when doin 20mph in 4th gear, when I got it remapped (again from FR&RTuning) it was better and now with the CDA its much better. Also throttle is heck of a lot more responsive!

In terms of aesthetics, its looks top noch and it helps diminish the diesel tractor noise. Making a slight whoosshh sound.

Overall I'm happy for the price I paid and would defo reccomend it. Pics to follow shortly its ****** raining outside

Last edited:
I'm very igor to see the pics, maybe you can do a clip to hear the sound :)

lovely job :), how many hps do you think that you have gained. Also where did you install the CAI and did you need to order anything else for the fitment?

;)

lovely job :), how many hps do you think that you have gained. Also where did you install the CAI and did you need to order anything else for the fitment?

;)

This induction kit has been tested by BMC on a Maha LPS2000 dyno using a 1.9tdi 105hp golf gains were +8hp and that was with a standard map on the car. So FR&RTuning advised me a 2.0tdi 140 with a map will see increase of +10-15BHP! That takes my 2.0TDI which was mapped to 180 to approx 200BHP! and it does drive that quick aswel!

I don't want the sound to be much louder i just want if possbile to diminuate the diesel sound and transform it more like a jet sound.

Buy a fighter plane then cause that isnt gonna happen, lol.

This induction kit has been tested by BMC on a Maha LPS2000 dyno using a 1.9tdi 105hp golf gains were +8hp and that was with a standard map on the car. So FR&RTuning advised me a 2.0tdi 140 with a map will see increase of +10-15BHP! That takes my 2.0TDI which was mapped to 180 to approx 200BHP! and it does drive that quick aswel!

:rolleyes: I thought people stopped believing that sort of rubbish years ago.

If only lol, I had a cda on my S3 only for better flow & minimal cooler but certainly didnt expect silly gains & didnt get either, but it wasnt my ultimate goal tbh, dont for one minute believe these claims

One more question, did you connect the air filter to the intercooler, as the stock one used to be connected?

8hp is 8 more than 0. Get every bit of power you can! Liking the sound now! Time for a good remap I think?

One more question, did you connect the air filter to the intercooler, as the stock one used to be connected?

One would hope not, filter connects to the inlet pipe to turbo via the maf as per oem filter setup

the figures are not important, it drives better than before so seems like its doing its job :)

I would hazard a guess this is due to the more direct airflow & possibly cooler aswell because stock has a few turns along route with crappy plastics & into a long rectangular box which to me isnt particularly well designed for good airflow & of course takes longer to pass through maf to turbo inlet & with the heat under hood would become warmer along route if not shielded & the bmc casing I think shields the air better from engine heat, pity the intake pipes are still plastic with no real heat shielding.

I'm gonna get a temp sensor & then test with & without bmc when get chance, see if it really makes difference overall, definitely with direct airflow makes difference IMHO, but cant see power gains of 8 horses

Last edited:
Seems like a touchy subject does the power gains. So here we go, this is the pic of the box with the gains. sorry about poor camera quality. Bare in mind this is on a 1.9tdi105 and a 2.0tdi will only see more or alteast the same horses.

The actualy box is made from carbon fibre which does insulate the air from the engine bay but like NHN said the hoses are plastic so guess not the best thing in the world but helps keeps the price down.

The original intake pipes do loop around and this is connected to the inlet at the front. A silicone hose is used to create a direct fit. The silicone round hose probably does have a larger area for air intake compared to the original but I have not actually calculated the relative areas.

Aw ye and the car has also been remapped by the same company, FR&RTuning.

cda_graphTDI.JPG