Cabriolet rattling windows

pbarlow0032

Reaction score
Hi All,
I've noticed that when I drive with the roof down, if i hit potholes etc, there is a horrific rattling/crashing coming from the side windows as if something is loose.

I've had 2 a4 cabs previously, and neither of them had this problem, so I don't think its a "they all do that sir...." kind of problem.

This doesn't happen when the roof is up.

Has anyone experienced this, and if so, how did you fix it?

Thanks,
Paul

I have this issue also, I read somewhere to put autoglym rubber treatment on the rubber seals around the windows to stop it. Bought some autoglym stuff today so I'm trying it tomorrow.

Could be a worn guide ? Is it the rear quarter or fronts that are noisy ? I can throw up a diagram if you want.

Hi, I read the thread about autoglym rubber cleaner on another forum, but I think that would only fix a rattling problem if the roof was up? This noise sounds like its flex of the glass between front and rear windows around the guide bit in between? It only happens when the roofs down, as if there us not enough inherent strength in the glass to hold itself straight, it just sits straight when the roofs up and it can sit in the seal.

the front window on the drivers side feels like it moves in and out a couple of cm if pushed or pulled, I presume this shouldn't happen?
Could anyone suggest a fix?

will you also let me know how you get on with your rubber cleaner vagcabby?

ETA cabbyfan, any help you an give would be greatly appreciated!

Does it do it when the roof is up but the windows are down ? Also try front windows up and rear down and vice versa. Sounds like guide like I said. I can up a diagram for which ever bit you think is rattling.

Hi cabbyfan, have only had the car a few weeks, but have only noticed it with roof down, windows up. Haven't noticed it with windows down, roof up.
Will try the combos you mention to try and isolate the issue (good thinking!) and will report back. If you could then give me some guidance on a fix, that would be superb! Thanks for your help!
ETA if it says I disliked your post, ignore it, ****** iPhone!

Still been unable to try and work out what combination causes the rattle, it's never stopped raining! I've bought the autoglym rubber cleaner but bit had chance to use it yet. Will post up an update shortly.

if the windows are loose and need tightening, is there a decent "how to" anywhere on how to do it?

Well, finally got the roof down today, and managed to clean the rubber deals all round with the autoglym. The amount of filth was unbelievable!!

no real rattle with the roof up, but with the roof down and windows up the rattle is shocking! When I put the rear windows down, or the front windows down, the rattle subsides - so I think it's the fronts rubbing against the back windows making the noise? Seems to be much worse on the passenger side. Cabbyfan, do you have any suggestions or how to guides which might help please?