Cabriolet headlight / bumper adjustment

JasonS

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I removed my offside headlamp today and polished it up.
it was easy to remove, 2 bolts on top, slacken one at rear and I was careful not to break the tab on the electrical connector.

However, after replacing the headlight, there appears to be a bigger gap between the light and the bumper.
I've had it out and tried re-seating but to no avail.

I've checked that the plastic tray it sits on is locating correctly in the headlight tabs so it's not sitting on top of them.

There's doesn't seem to be any obvious way to adjust the bumper to shift it up a touch.
I've checked the workshop CD and it shows the joint dimensions but no detail on how to adjust the bumper to meet the joint dimension spec..

Anyone managed this before?

Attachments

• bumper align.jpg
    bumper align.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 103
I removed both mine to change the bulbs and had to wiggle the tray a bit and the light unit to get everything settled right.

I figured it out in the end.. it's been bashed on the front at some point, so the bumper isn't properly aligned..

I took off the fog light grille and found that the plastic cowling is cracked, which suggests it's had some impact at some point.
Now I know why, I don't mind if the gap is a couple of mm wider than it should be.. I only notice it if I look closely.

I also discovered when looking inside with the grille off that the intercooler is covered in oily dust, so I have to figure out how to clean that out.. My first though was to whack it with my pressure washer, but I don't want to break the fins off with too much pressure, so I'm having a think.