1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cabin noises/rattles/quality

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by steve184, Nov 9, 2007.

1. steve184

steve184 Active Member

[Nov 9, 2007]
    I'm pretty dissappointed with this to be honest - for A £27K hatchback its a pretty poor show tbh. If i drive my car wit the radio off and heater fan off and the windows closed, the amount of odd spurious noises coming from various places in the cabin is ridiculous, and its only done 3.5K!

Its even more annoying when you take your mums seat into the garage for her and get a couertesy car and the courtesy car is silent (and i mean silent) on the inside.

Its not like i can take it to the dealer and say, this noise is comig from here and this noise is coig from here, cos there are lots of odd noises comig from everywhere, which they will prob say.... oh i can't hear anything - lol

Do they have any special equipment for locating interior noises or do they rely on the mechanics (ahem technicians) hearing to detect and find noises.

Yeh, the solution is to turn the radio up... fair enough... but what if i fancy some relaxed quiet time in the car - no chance!

dohhh
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 26, 2014]

3. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

[Nov 9, 2007]
    Same with my car mate.
    I daren't leave the radio off either, coz the various rattles will drive me mental.
    It's had these rattles and creaks since new.
    Rattles are one of those things that some people are deaf to though.
    My wife, for example, thinks I'm daft when I go "hear that?"
  4. Geraldy212

Geraldy212 Sportback owner

[Nov 9, 2007]
    Steve, perhaps you could try the following: Lift up the boot flooring and remove the toolkit and spare wheel. Look to see if there is anything under the spare wheel that could roll around. Replace spare wheel and make sure it is really tightened down, same with the toolkit. Then check the rear seats, and make sure they are properly latched in place and secure. Give em a shake to make sure. The only other thing I could then suggest is to have a friend ride with you in front and then back to see if he/she can identify the area(s) that are rattling. It is hard to do this yourself when you are driving. Otherwise, ask the technician to ride with you, and point out the noises directly to him on the spot. Attention to these ideas has made our Sportback pretty well rattle-free. Good luck.
  5. Twizzler

Twizzler Active Member

[Nov 9, 2007]
  6. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

[Nov 9, 2007]
    Do what I've done.
    Put a kid's bike in the boot.
    So if you hear any rattles, you can convince yourself it "must be that" and you drive along happy...

;-)
  7. a3norwich

a3norwich Not anymore - Back 2 BMW (shh)

[Nov 9, 2007]
    Welcome to another quality Audi product!

Mine's done it since new and goes in every other month or so to solve various (and recurring) rattles. Doors seals are my personal favourite. **** on a £30K car. A so called "quality" car... :mad:
  8. sat1983

sat1983 Member

[Nov 9, 2007]
    I was only thinking that today. Only a year old and it does squeak a fair bit. My number one enemy is the handbrake. That b*****d drives me insane!! Can't be bothered to tell the dealer though, plus too scared they'll keep the car for days and scratch it... You just can't win.
    I Have my poor idling problem where sometimes it just shakes quite a lot while we're sat at a traffic light or something, when i went for the service they couldn't find a problem. It does it every other day.
    The receptionist was good and did say they could keep my car in for up to a week to investigate the problem, but I'm too paranoid they'll wreck the car.
  9. steve184

steve184 Active Member

[Nov 10, 2007]
    This is it tho. Its not like its consistent 'known' probs. I dont have a prob with my handbrake or the door seals or the rear suspension. I do however have a problem with both A-pillars and the rear of the car (plasticy type sound - not the rubber balls issue in boot that some people have pointed out) - all probs i didnt have with my previous 8p A3 - i thought there was quality control at AUDI AG?????????
  10. cdb2

cdb2 Member

[Nov 10, 2007]
    A dealer told me trim rattles are only covered for 6 months from new.

I have rattly A Pillars, could be tweeters or their covers?

Also a rattle from the passenger seat belt mech.

Never had a car with soooo many rattles, even a Renault was better in that respect.
  11. rich1068

rich1068 Member

[Nov 10, 2007]
    ditto

My Octavia was rattle and squeak free for over three years. Very disappointed with VAG's premium brand.
  12. steve184

steve184 Active Member

[Nov 10, 2007]
    thts gotta be ******** - a rattle or squeak in an audi is a fault, and the warranty lasts for 3 years - nuff said surely.
  13. a3norwich

a3norwich Not anymore - Back 2 BMW (shh)

[Nov 10, 2007]
    Am in my 8th month of ownership and my local dealer are still playing with noises under warranty, so not sure about the 6 month limit.

Think I will go back to BMWs...
  14. Trev241

Trev241 Member

[Nov 10, 2007]
    Almost one year on with the S3, totally rattle and squeak free.:happy:
  15. Dandle

Dandle Member

[Nov 10, 2007]
    My dealer told me 10,000 miles. The rattle I have was first reported at 3.5K and its the **** plastic centre bit around and behind the handbrake.
  16. Nelson_R32

Nelson_R32 Member

[Nov 10, 2007]
    Haven't heard a rattle from any component in my 11 month old A3; must be one of the lucky ones!
  17. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

[Nov 12, 2007]
    Some of the above comments confirm my suspicions.
    IMO, there is no such thing as a rattle free A3.
    I've never driven one, and I've driven quite a few.
    It's just that some people, like me, are particularly 'tuned in' and likely to be bothered by them, some aren't.
    My wife and my mate are two examples of those that aren't bothered by rattles.
    Between sunglasses, Cd's etc., their cars sound like the back of an Argos delivery van.
    It would drive me nuts, but it doesn't bother them.
    FWIW, I know for a fact my dealer would still investigate rattles for me, if I wanted them to (can't be arsed).
    That's at nearly three years old and 33K miles, so why some dealers ae saying there's a limit is beyond me.
  18. Dandle

Dandle Member

[Nov 12, 2007]
    My car had the drivers seat cover replaced at 3.5k miles due to wear on the drivers seat bolster. Its been back four or five times now to sort a sqeeky drivers seat out which they have fixed but now I have found the passenger side bolster has signs of wear. The cars only done 12.5k now with the wife taking it to work for most of that mileage. I must admit that I expected more out of a car that cost this much. The bolsters are are only leather effect which is the problem I believe.

My 100k mile Volvo S40 is only just showing signs of wear on the leather and its 8yrs old.
  19. Dandle

Dandle Member

[Nov 13, 2007]
    Been to the dealers today and they say although it has worn its just the seat belt rubbing on the leather and isnt a warranty item. Im pretty fuming now and have been onto Audi CS who are goign to phone me back tomorrow.
  20. cdb2

cdb2 Member

[Nov 13, 2007]
    If the belt rubs on the seat this sounds like a design fault, i.e. poor design and therefore their problem!

If you get a chance ask them what the official line is on trim rattles - 6 months, 10,000 miles or the full 3 years.