Cab rear window glue fail again

Cabbyfan

Reaction score
Well its happened again, window glue has failed on my rear screen :(

So far I have tried silicone and Gorrilla glue (v messy don't bother) and 3M tape (stuck to the glass fine but not the fabric)

So next plan is a glue / sealant of some kind as the fabric seems to be the issue.

Contenders

JB Weld
Masterbond Windscreen bonding
Some really expensive 3M windows glass bond stuff.

Or this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-DINIT...0c05b8&pid=100011&rk=1&rkt=10&sd=221210608276

Sadly most threads online have been unsuccessful of look rubbish...

Any thoughts ?

I have a roof skin with the same problem that came with the car.

Great fabric but window unstuck so looking for a solution so I can sell the skin lol

Thing is I have a brand new skin in my loft but I don't really want to fit it to this car.

Not looked at Stikaflex yet. Have you used it yourself ?

Yes I've used it on my old golf ..it sticks like **** to a blanket it's mega stuff

Don't get it on your hands you won't get it off you have to let to wear off

I'm told any one part polyurethane vehicle glazing glue will do the job. I used one 18 moths ago on my B6 Cab and there is no question of the window releasing again. You do need to follow the instructions ref cleaning and use the activator that increases bond strength.

If you have used silicon on the window/fabric you need to remove every last bit before anything else will make a permanent seal. I used a silicon remover from Soudal to clean the silicon used by the last owner.

Cheers for the replies guys. I have bought some 3M 105 flexible epoxy, this combined with clamping it for 24 hours should do the job. I will try and get some photos etc as well and knock up a guide. I have half an inch of water under my feet driving to work this morning yikes !

Ok it's done. Nice warm day so time was right. It's glued and has been clamped for about 10 hours. Takes 48 hours for this glue to get to 80% full strength so I'm going to leave it alone for as long as I can.

I took pics of how I did it so if it works I will knock up a guide. Fingers crossed !

It didn't work. It pretty much came unstuck after a day and that was without even putting the roof down :( Looks like its time to try the black windscreen glue bond stuff.

Ok I bought a dinitrol kit with primer etc, windscreen bonding basically. If this doesn't work I'm just going to have to replace it.

I bought some kinda of glue from screwfix of all places after reading up on a usa forum. Can't remember the name but worked a treat..

It was a Dinitrol product I used,good luck. I used a fast set version.

Cheers guys, I bought a Dinitrol 500 kit with the primer etc, It looks messy but gotta try something ! Hopefully it will be dry this Saturday. Any idea how long it needs to cure for ? I have clamps and a wooden former I made to keep it all squeezed for as long as I need and a big tarp to cover the whole car too :)

Dinitrol 500 should be OK after 4 hours, but just leave it over night. You need to keep the rain off until it's skinned but it needs moisture from the air to cure so don't over protect it. As for being a messy job, don't use too much, or get it on anything that matters. It sticks like s..t to the hood! Don't worry too much on the glass, a sharp blade will skim it off once dry. God look, the former sounds impressive, I did it with a couple of bits of wood and some gaffer tape! You have to look close to see that it has been repaired though.

Thanks Bush, much appreciated. The former is just a bit of ply, I will post some pics at some point.

Bush, did you put a bead down or just like a smear? Sometimes less is better with this kind of stuff. My problem is I have epoxy stuck on the fabric side which won't come off so I am hoping the PU will bind too.

I have got the glass totally clean ready for the primer etc.

Cheers ! It's supposed to be warm and dry tomorrow so it's make or break time.

A thin bed (2-3mm deep/6mm wide) from a slanted nozzle worked for me, when you squash it in place it spreads. I taped the hood and window together so no real pressure, you may need to use less PU with the former. A smear is not controllable enough. Have a practice laying a bead before doing the job for real there is plenty of sticky stuff in the tube. The PU should stick to the epoxy, my window hand epoxy on as well as silicon. Scrape as much as possible off though. Good luck.

I'm assuming you primed both the glass and the fabric with the cleaner and primer paint too?

Just in case it happens to go again, screwfix sells some stuff called 'sticks like sh*t' and its genuinely amazing!!

Thanks Nostromo, it's raining here today but first inspection after 24 hours and it's seems ok. The true test is to open and close the roof a few times and see how it performs !

Thanks to everyone for their help much appreciated.

Hi leegsi, I think I have fixed it but I will keep in in mind cheers. What did you want for it ?