C5 A6 2.5tdi DMF probs - advice please

HerefordQuattro

Reaction score
Recently had big probs getting into gear especially first/reverse and a lot of vibration through clutch pedal at top of travel.

Fairly sure this is a terminal DMF but like to confirm before i have to fork out £400 + £180 for clutch while we're at it!

only query really is that when it's cold it's very bad but last couple of days it's been fairly mild 7-10deg and it's not been too bad (usable) I'm guessing temp will exacerbate the problem??

If it is DMF then where's the best place to buy? seen LUK on euro Car Parts for 400 notes and if i can wait for their next 25% sale then could get it for 300 or is it best to find a Sachs?

What about a solid flywheel conversion? not much definative info about on these but would seem a good idea as I fear the increased torque from remap (460Nnm) is what killed the original - but only do 6k a year so DMF should last a while (it does get driven like it's stolen at times!)

all advice / opinions welcome.

cheers and merry Christmas

just another note, would the DMF failing cause it to idle badly? it's quite frankly a ***** to drive in stop start traffic at the moment but once you're up and runing it's fine...

Yes it will ! The DMF works in 2 planes so it must got overheated badly in order to cook the springs inside and the grease to leak out. Did you ever get the clutch slipping ? The only upgraded clutch from SACHS SRE range is rated at 15% increase but knowing how conservative Sachs are with their ratings it's most likely close to 30% increase. I would go and get their organic clutch disc and a stock DMF while at it. Your a6 done about 200k which is good life from the clutch, many modern engines struggle to reach half that ! The remap and perhaps your driving style was the last nail in the coffin for it !

cheers Chris

any thoughts on this : Audi A6 Stage 1 Black Diamond Organic Clutch £268.68 at Motorsport World

or where to get a sachs organic? do i need the cover: Audi A6 Sachs Clutch Cover £294.98 at Motorsport World as well as organic plate: Audi A6 Sachs Friction Plate £246.53 at Motorsport World if so it's going to be £550 just for clutch!!!? (not in my budget)

what about oem LUK DMF from ECP? any good?

do i need release bearing as well?

is it possible to chnage on the drive with only 4 axle stands and a trolley jack or 2?

ps on the guiness now so above may not make sense!

Last edited:
i wouldnt attempt to change a clutch on one of these on the floor. that 'box is fooking heavy! and the top bell housing bolts are an **** to get to.
id stick with a standard set up and just make sure when youve changed gear that the clutch is up and bitten before you boost it up y0.

As advised by Muran, i would not attempt a gearbox removal on your drive as the box is heavy and there's not enough room + i had a car fell off axle stands once. The way i do it (when on my drive !) it's by taking the engine off, much, much safer when the engine hangs from a crane !
As above, stock clutch is very good as long as you don't ride the clutch and it's fully engaged, it's only when it slips that the flywheel springs get ******. I tow a lot (at least 2-3 times a week) with my allroad and i don't have any slipping issues, the car is at 160k and when i rebuilt the engine last month, i wanted to replace the clutch but there was no need. I had a bit of play in/out on the DMF but not excesive + there's no judder and it feels fine.
The clutch you posted in the link is no good for your a6, it's designed for a 2.5 tdi Inline 5 cylinder engine and it's solid, you need a sprung disc... There's 2 types of clutches fitted to the a6 180Bhp: 1 is conventional sprung disc and DMF either Sachs or LUK, the other is a self adjusting clutch and DMF made by LUK. To be honest i hope you have the non adjusting type as it's better and more reliable.
See this link for the clutch you need: 2.5 TDI (132 kW ; 02/2000 - 01/2005) - Sachs-Performance

top man:salute:

hang on I've seen the price now!!:wtf:

with tax and delivery at current exchange rate = £430 just for the clutch

Last edited:
Last edited:
Stick with the Sachs SRE IF you want a stock feel on the pedal and reliability. Sachs are very conservative with their ratings and the 15% increase is much more than double the factory clutch + you get their experience and a clutch designed for a diesel not a modified petrol clutch ! 450Nm at 2000 rpm's is a lot harder on the clutch than 450Nm at 4000 rpm's !

ressurecting this thread now i've finaly got my **** in gear.

ordered parts from Euro car parts in the end (all i can afford) but the clutch kit I ordered was an LUK and they've sent me a Valeo 826640? checked the valeo code and it's the right part no for my car but any ideas on the quality? I'm sure i'm perfectly within my rights to phone them up and ask for the LUK I paid for but need it for this weekend so will the Valeo do?

cheers

Jake

Take it back and get a LUK or Sachs clutch kit, the Valeo is not man enough for the job !

wish i'd read that this morning! I thought as much, phoned ECP and the women on the phone said valeo is what had been delivered to their warehouse and is of an equal quality!
going to have to try and source an LUK or sachs by the weekend arrgh

yep wiki tells me they're French, not heard of them till this clutch turned up.

sourced a LUK one now (on route with fedex as we speak) just got to get ECP to pay for the return postage on the goods they supplied to me not as described

Ordered LUK clutch from Car and Commercial Parts, Spares, and Accessories - Partservice phoned them up rather than pay through ebay and they gave me free postage in return (no fees fro them).
ordered at 10am Thursday and it was Fedex'd up from Exeter warehouse and with me by 9.30 Friday, top service.

Mechanic has fitted today and txt me to say the old DMF was 'badly damaged' so I'll try and get some pics up tomorrow when i pick her up

wow it's like a new car! I hadn't realised how bad it had got after living with it get steadily worse.

sooo smooth like it should be:)

Glad you sorted it out ! They feel good when working right them v6's, don't they ?!

Reactions: HerefordQuattro
YEP!

Another oil change due soon and got a fuel filter for her as well, keep the old girl going a bit longer!

Bit like Triggers broom "had this broom for 20 years - it's had 17 new heads and 14 handles but it's the same broom!"