1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C.V boot

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by skinz, Oct 2, 2011.

1. skinz

skinz Member

[Oct 2, 2011]
    i need to change the C.V boot but having trouble removing the C.V joint, on my calibra you had to give it a good hit with a hammer making sure you didnt pull the driveshaft out of the gear box, is it the same on the A4's, any tips would help loads cheers
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 19, 2014]

3. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Oct 2, 2011]
    yeh, its the same.

Alternatively you can screw the bolt back in thru the middle of the joint and use that to push the CV off.
  4. skinz

skinz Member

[Oct 2, 2011]
    sweet didnt think of that cheers bud:thumbsup:
  5. mixmaster

mixmaster Member

[Oct 2, 2011]
    Winding the old bolt back works a treat pulling the CV off. Just be careful of shrapnel coming off the bolt threads and ending up in the joint. It may not happen to you but just a heads up before it gets in your joint.
  6. B5NUT

B5NUT Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Oct 2, 2011]
    On my facelift B5, the bolt trick does not work as the drive shaft appears to be hollow at the end all it did to the bolt was to damage the thread, which made it difficult to get the bolt back out. In the end I pushed a smaller bolt through and used the drive shaft bolt to press on the smaller bolt. Was thinking about making up the tool below all you would need is a bolt which is about double the lenth of the standard one and a grinder to shape the end of the bolt.

[​IMG]
  7. mixmaster

mixmaster Member

[Oct 2, 2011]
    Sounds perfect. Like a crank extractor on a push-bike.

The hollow end of the drive shaft must have been what caused the shrapnel in mine.
  8. skinz

skinz Member

[Oct 2, 2011]
    the bolt thing worked a treat, they should do this on all cars made it so easy to do, that was a top tip, there such a ball ache trying to hit of with out doin any damage or pulling the drive shaft out and with the audi having all that extra metal work behind the wheel makes it much harder to swing a hammer in there