1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bye Bye Diesel....

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by JayDZS*, Aug 8, 2014.

1. JayDZS*

JayDZS* Member

[Aug 8, 2014]
    17 months after collecting my current car and after initially looking at the higher powered diesel engine I have today placed my order for a S3!!

Order the car through Coventry Audi after getting a great deal off them through Carwow. Spec is:

S3 Sportback Stronic in Sepang Blue (another!)
    • Tech Pack
    • Comfort Pack with Park Assist
    • Privacy Glass
    • Panoramic Sunroof
    • ThroughLoad
    • B&O Sound
    • Black Inlays
    • deletion of model and tech
    • Super Sports Seats
    • electrically folding and heated Mirrors
    • Interior ligh pack
    Was originally going to go for a certain exclusive colour however chickened out! Been quoted a Nov delivery so now have to play the waiting Game!!
    AzR and rajazed like this.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 2, 2014]

3. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

[Aug 8, 2014]
    The s3 is a completely different beast to a diesel. What's made you change your mind?
  4. JayDZS*

JayDZS* Member

[Aug 8, 2014]
    Ive always chosen the sensible option when buying cars and ill be looking to get on the property ladder soon so thought I might as well do it while I can,plus once both cars were specced up there was only £1200 in it
  5. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

[Aug 8, 2014]
    With the same spec?
  6. Vertigo1

Vertigo1 Well-Known Member

[Aug 8, 2014]
    What cuke said - £1200 difference with the same spec?! Find that hard to believe but will to be convinced :p

Your fuel bills are going to be a tad different though lol :)
  7. JayDZS*

JayDZS* Member

[Aug 8, 2014]
    1200 was with a fee un essential options taken off. Fuel bills will be worth it... I hope! I'll just have to drive less haha
  8. NickyF

NickyF New Member

[Aug 8, 2014]
    I'm ditching my 2.0 tdi 8p for a new S3. The old bus has done me proud, but I'm sick of the diesel and want something that I can rev and have fun in. I never really considered an 8v diesel (although I'm sure they're great) but I did notice that a top spec s-line diesel was only £2.5k cheaper than the same gearboxed s3. I think you made the right decision, especially with the S3 turning in good real world economy. This was a big sell for me as poor MPG ruins the ownership experience for me, even if you can afford it.
  9. The Challinor

The Challinor Well-Known Member

[Aug 9, 2014]
    What was the exclusive colour you were tempted with?

P.S think about adding connect!
  10. JayDZS*

JayDZS* Member

[Aug 9, 2014]
    Merlin purple, think I'll take the plunge next time!

Don't have connect on my current car and there were options I wanted to add more, don't really think I would use it tbh
  11. The Challinor

[Aug 9, 2014]
    I'm a massive fan of exclusive / custom colours but sepang is a great colour mate, very deep and the colour is very varied in lightning conditions.
  12. JayDZS*

JayDZS* Member

[Aug 9, 2014]
    That's what swayed me, as much as merlin looks great in sunlight I thought it would look too dark (nearly black?) most of the time and show up all the dirt and any imperfections in the paint, scuba is bad enough with the dealer inflicted swirls!
  13. steeve

steeve Well-Known Member

[Aug 9, 2014]
    Misano looks nice, not too late to change it.......
  14. The Challinor

[Aug 9, 2014]
    Only ever seen merlin in person on old TT's, it is very dark. Velvet purple also looks smart in the purple range lol.
  15. Soulboy

Soulboy Member

[Aug 10, 2014]
  16. Gazwould

Gazwould Active Member

[Aug 10, 2014]
    So a DPF isn't good enough ?
  17. arad85

arad85 Active Member

[Aug 10, 2014]
    Well... if they tax the alternative so much (on a pence per mile basis) that you need a second mortgage to drive to the shops, what do they expect?
  18. cilurnum

cilurnum Member

[Aug 10, 2014]
    I'm talking about this topic a little too much, but be careful what you read at face value. These articles are generally second or third hand tripe. Most of the emissions are being produced by only a few hundred thousand lorries and buses so that should be far easier to target but they won't tax that because you'd largely put road haulage out of business.

The implicit assumption here is that petrols suffer from none of these problems but modern petrol engines in the drive for power and efficiency produce soot that requires a particulate filter and a lot of technology handed down from diesel engines and they also produce significantly more nitrogen oxides than older petrol engines despite the fixation on carbon dioxide. Keep in mind that the EURO 6 emission standards also apply equally to petrols.

Tax is highly unlikely to be increased on diesels because they will have to do it on an expanded emissions basis and that won't reflect well on a modern petrols either. If you pass EURO 6 you shouldn't have much to worry about. I suspect there is a bit of a backlash against diesels because it's the easiest thing to go for and both car manufacturers and fuel companies are a little uncomfortable that the tipping point has gone in favour of diesel but I think it's too late now. They generally like to play one off against the other.
  19. AzR

AzR New Member

[Aug 21, 2014]
    I took delivery of an A3 Sportback 8V 2.0 TDI 184 S-Tronic S-Line in March this year. Scuba blue, full leather, B&O and a few more extras. I came from a manual BMW 123D which i loved and was very rewarding to drive but fancied a change. It took me less than 2 months to realise I had made a mistake. In effect I had subconsciously specced up an S3 but with a diesel engine (and 2 fewer exhausts!) and that was the one thing i couldn't get away from - the diesel engine. Don't get me wrong - the performance of the 2.0 TDI 184 is phenomenal all things considered, but the sound of a diesel 4-pot under strain when it's flat out is jarring to say the least and it really detracts from what is otherwise a great experience.
    Long story short, I have a Sepang blue S3 on order due to arrive early October. It's been a costly mistake but for me I just can't keep thinking "what if" for the next 3 years. On my S3 test drive the things i loved the most were that the car purred in traffic and then rasped when i floored it, and averaging only 5,000 miles a year, that to me is worth giving up 15mpg.
    I foolishly originally discounted the S3 as an option for the same reasons my last 2 cars have been the diesel version of the top-of-the-line petrols (fuel consumption, tax, insurance) but it was the car i always wanted (just like the 135M i didn't get previously). The worst thing is I didn't even look at the price - the manual gearbox version was only £200 extra...
    It's been a long wait since May. I went for the S-tronic again in the end and have taken a hit with depreciation but the dealer was understandably generous with his discount for buying 2 new cars in within 6 months! I'm sure I have made the right decision. I guess I'll let you know in about 6 weeks...