1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bye Bye Coilovers

S3 Hilife Aug 27, 2014

1. S3 Hilife

S3 Hilife It's an addiction Team Dolphin Grey VCDS Map User Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter quattro Audi S3

So its time to get rid of the cheap crappy coilovers. I'm fed up with constantly trying to avoid potholes. They have been on the car 2 years and they are shot.
    I'm looking to fit something standard in way of shocks and fit some Apex or Pi or maybe H&R springs and add some stiff poly top mount bushes but I dont want the car to sit so low and have the same problem.

What sort of drop would give the car a good stance but not be too low that It bottoms out on speed bumps?
    I dont know the stock height of the S3 so I dont really have anything to compare to.
    Any advice would be welcome

2. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

Bilstein B12 Pro-Kit.

3. S3 Hilife

S3 Hilife It's an addiction Team Dolphin Grey VCDS Map User Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter quattro Audi S3

Yeh they look decent but very pricey

4. scotty_24

scotty_24 Active Member

Im in the exact same boat as you. I have cheap FK coilovers and they have been the worst decision ive ever made.
    Once my hybrid is on, Im going to go down the Koni shock and Apex / Eibach / H & R spring route

5. S3 Hilife

Ye I think that sounds good, i'm struggling to work out what sort of drop would work best (25, 30, 35mm) I dont want to go too low but still want a decent stance

6. S3 Hilife

Can anyone tell me what the distance is from wheel centre to wheel arch with a standard suspension set up?

7. DPM

DPM Site Sponsor Site Sponsor

If you're wanting to run standard shocks then I'd say the best option for springs would be the Eibach Pro's.

Damian @ DPM Performance

8. Alex C

Alex C Well-Known Member VCDS Map User Audi S3

I think you should be looking at around a quoted drop of around 25-30mm - I have H&R springs with a quoted drop of 25mm and I only very rarely scrape the harsh island type speed bumps

9. Adam P

Adam P Active Member

I am running the apex springs from ebay. Had them for two years and no issues and a great price. This is how the car sits.

[​IMG]

Sam_, gregor571 and superkarl like this.
  10. S3 Hilife

looks good, are they the 25mm or 30mm drop

11. Adam P

Adam P Active Member

Cheers, they are the 30mm drop ones mate.

12. mark_S3

mark_S3 Team Silver

This is mine with Koni STR-T Shocks with H&R Springs -25mm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Vex182

Vex182 Guess what I drive...

I can measure my standard suspension with standard wheels tomorrow morning.

14. S3 Hilife

Thanks Mark, looks sweet. Wasn't expecting it to look as low as that with -25mm springs. Are those 17" or 18" wheels?
    Steve

15. S3 Hilife

Thanks Mark, looks sweet. Wasn't expecting it to look as low as that with -25mm springs. Are those 17" or 18" wheels?
    Steve