Buzzing speaker driving me nuts!

SirMacca

Reaction score
Hi all.

I recently bought an A3 8L 1.6 in a priavte sale.

The previous owner has had a sony head unit fitted and told me they also fitted a signal booster whilst they were at it...whether there's any truth in that I'm not sure. The problem is the rear passenger side speaker.
When on mute there is no sound but when turned up the buzzing (not rattling like loose component) gets louder....

Any ideas will be welcomed.

Chris

Have looked at the speaker to see if it is damaged or there is a loose connection?

Chances are its a faulty cone or a bad earth somewhere

Hi all.

I recently bought an A3 8L 1.6 in a priavte sale.

The previous owner has had a sony head unit fitted and told me they also fitted a signal booster whilst they were at it...whether there's any truth in that I'm not sure. The problem is the rear passenger side speaker.
When on mute there is no sound but when turned up the buzzing (not rattling like loose component) gets louder....

Any ideas will be welcomed.

Chris

Ok cheers mate how do i get these out? Do they just prise out or do you have to take out the card? It's a 3 door if that makes a difference.

Chris

Definately won't be the speaker, speakers either work or not, they can only have a damaged voice coil which would just sound dreadful with music playing. Buzzing s due to electrical inteference. Chances are they've used the wrong adapter to connect the Sony to the rear/sub amp. The speaker input adapter uses a hi-lo converter to take the perfectly decent speaker outputs from the Sony back down to line level so they can be reamplified by the puny Audi rear/sub amp. This not only provides an inferior signal but also introduces noise and interference. They should have used the PC9-404 adapter which uses the RCA line level outputs from te Sony and feeds them straight into the Audi loom for the rear amp. Pull the HU and see how they've integrated the Sony into the Audi loom.

Definately won't be the speaker, speakers either work or not, they can only have a damaged voice coil which would just sound dreadful with music playing. Buzzing s due to electrical inteference. Chances are they've used the wrong adapter to connect the Sony to the rear/sub amp. The speaker input adapter uses a hi-lo converter to take the perfectly decent speaker outputs from the Sony back down to line level so they can be reamplified by the puny Audi rear/sub amp. This not only provides an inferior signal but also introduces noise and interference. They should have used the PC9-404 adapter which uses the RCA line level outputs from te Sony and feeds them straight into the Audi loom for the rear amp. Pull the HU and see how they've integrated the Sony into the Audi loom.

Didn't entirely understand that mate but will have a look tomorrow when i get in from work.

Have my test next month so hoping to have it completely sorted before i get on the road.
Cheers