1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying S3. Opinions please!

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by CazzaVR, Oct 26, 2013.

1. CazzaVR

CazzaVR Member

[Oct 26, 2013]
    Hi guys,

Just sold my Corrado and put a £250 deposit down on a nice S3 last month. 2001 AMK, 100K miles, FSH etc. 2 owners, totally standard. In good nick, felt tight, drove well. Owner seems very legit and reckoned the car was 'perfect'. However, the fact it had been on a longlife service regime was a worry. It needs a service now, and turns out it needs a cambelt too. I intended to have the sump cleaned and a new pickup pipe fitted at the time of service.

HOWEVER, I did the MOT check (only just found out about it), and it turns out it has only passed 2 MOTs first time! The last one has a massive stack of advisories (this wasn't in the paperwork when I looked at the car). These include: Corroding exhaust, all discs pitted, corroded rear springs, EML on + a few smaller things. The EML wasn't on when I viewed it.

Basically, I've started to get a bad feeling about it. Just seems it hasn't been looked after. Was happy to go with the fact it's been on longlife etc, but this new info has changed things. It failed one MOT for not having enough oil FFS! I feel more than a little mislead over it.

I've seen another one that I'm looking at this morning. 89K on the clock, 2002 BAM, FSH, 2 owners etc etc. Have viewed the MOT history and it's all perfect. Passed every time, with the only advisories being tyres.Same price as the first one.

Both cars are HPI clear.

Would appreciate your thoughts on this guys!
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 18, 2014]

3. epox

epox Active Member

[Oct 26, 2013]
    loose the deposit and go for the 2002 bam
  4. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

[Oct 26, 2013]
    Wouldnt get to hooked up on past advisory's, its only telling the owner what probably needs doing...
    A car could fail on 20 items and never get recorded?
  5. JoeeS3

JoeeS3 Active Member

[Oct 26, 2013]
    Where is the location of the 2002 bam. I'm going to view one today with 89 on the clock?
  6. CazzaVR

CazzaVR Member

[Oct 26, 2013]
    Well, went for the later BAM in the end. Felt a lot sharper, had better history and lower miles. Lovely colour too- Avus Silver? Never seen that colour before.

Has a few little niggles- the headlamp washers are knackered, the cup holder is jammed in and the black paint on one or two of the switches has worn away (this seems to be quite a common problem).

Joe, it was in Swindon...
  7. Tovs

Tovs Member

[Oct 26, 2013]
    Nothing you can't fix, 2002 BAM is the better choice by far.
  8. vivalacoulter

vivalacoulter Member

[Oct 26, 2013]
    Mine has the same problem with the peeling buttons, not the end of the world but does age the interior in my eyes.

Anyone know if you can replace the buttons?
  9. CazzaVR

CazzaVR Member

[Oct 26, 2013]
    Yeah, it doesn't look good at all. Very surprised at the lack of quality of materials. Never had this in any of my other cars.
  10. Tovs

Tovs Member

[Oct 26, 2013]
    Can go on EBay and get vinyl cover replacements for the buttons
  11. vivalacoulter

vivalacoulter Member

[Oct 26, 2013]
    I saw those, bet they'll be pretty fiddly to align for the light to still come through. I may chance it and buy some.